What to feed

Fluffygirl

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
campbell county tn
I currently have around 30 pullets and laying hens. I feed them laying crumbs. I also have a giant bowl for sunflower seeds, cracked corn and other stuff. I was wondering if I could also use (see picture) this in with the mix of other stuff. They do not free range at all. So I like to give extra stuff. Suggestion?

Attachments

• C05B4EF8-AE85-4A01-84D5-EA4A5FE425E4.png
    C05B4EF8-AE85-4A01-84D5-EA4A5FE425E4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Giving your chickens some extras -- including a few oats -- is fine, but generally speaking you don't want the treats to overwhelm their normal feeding, as they risk not getting enough protein and some critical nutrition. Oats, in particular, are not terribly nutritious.

I'm not sure if the giant bowl is something you store your treats in, or if it is sitting in the run. If it is sitting in the run, I wouldn't recommend that. Limit the treats to a handful or two (depending not the number of chickens) and scatter it about their run, so they have to work a little to find it.

The general rule is to keep treats to 10% or less of their total intake. I would also mix in some type of high quality protein into the treats, like black fly solder larvae or mealworms, as that will help keep the treats a little better balanced on the protein and related nutrition scale.

Giving your chickens some extras -- including a few oats -- is fine, but generally speaking you don't want the treats to overwhelm their normal feeding, as they risk not getting enough protein and some critical nutrition. Oats, in particular, are not terribly nutritious.

I'm not sure if the giant bowl is something you store your treats in, or if it is sitting in the run. If it is sitting in the run, I wouldn't recommend that. Limit the treats to a handful or two (depending not the number of chickens) and scatter it about their run, so they have to work a little to find it.

The general rule is to keep treats to 10% or less of their total intake. I would also mix in some type of high quality protein into the treats, like black fly solder larvae or mealworms, as that will help keep the treats a little better balanced on the protein and related nutrition scale.
The bowl only has corn. It’s a tub. I do feel meal worms. I’m just trying to find other things to feed. I feel like since they do not get out they don’t have a variety. I was dumping it but I worked they were eating dirt lol.

It's best to keep all treats to a minimum, in other words, they do not need oats, which aren't great for chickens, and shouldn't have free access to corn and seeds.
this X2. they need a certain nutrition and just like kids theyll. eat the "candy" and leave the food. I give mine a few handfuls (i have like 70 birds) of wild bird seed as a treat a day and no more

The bowl only has corn. It’s a tub. I do feel meal worms. I’m just trying to find other things to feed. I feel like since they do not get out they don’t have a variety. I was dumping it but I worked they were eating dirt lol.
In most commercial feeds, corn is the first ingredient, so giving them extra corn isn't giving them variety, and is diluting the amount of protein and nutrients they are getting from the commercial feed.

Put another way, most commercial feed contains only the bare minimum necessary for good health in terms of protein and essential amino acids. Giving a lot of low protein, low essential amino acids foods (like corn or oats), will either cause your chickens to suffer nutritional deficiencies; or force your chickens to overeat on the commercial feed in an attempt to get enough protein.

To give them a little variety, you might try hanging a cabbage, broccoli or other greens from a string. Some mealworms with a handful grains are fine as well. You might also consider sprouting wheat, lentils, etc. to give in moderation.

Them eating dirt may not be a bad thing. You said they never get out. Do you offer grit to them? If they’re getting corn or oats (whole or cracked) they need some grit to properly process/digest. Mine pick up gravel/sand/rocks/dirt when they free range, yours may need some grit/dirt.

Back
Top Bottom