What to plant now while my baby chicks grow! Only two weeks until my baby sussex arrive.

margh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Hi all. I am setting up my garden for our chickens we are getting in two weeks. Very eggcited (sorry)! I have heard they love comfrey but what else do you think i could I plant? I intend to put a wire lid type contraption over the garden so they can eat the top without digging it all out and destroying it all... Well that's the plan. I have tried to attach the pic.

Any ideas of what I could plant for my girls. I am getting day olds so the garden will have time to establish while the are growing.

My intention is to make a frame with chicken wire on the top so the herbs and vegetables can grow without the chickens scratching at the roots and digging them out, but they will be able to peck at the top growth and fertilise them at the same time. Sounds good in theory, I guess we will see how it goes. I will post pics of the finished experiment when complete. I have decided on the height of the lid yet.

Our girls love kale. We stick it through the fence, and they come running. Don't know how it would fare with the tops constantly clipped. Old bottom leaves are eaten with the same enthusiasm as tender tops.

Back
Top Bottom