what to put on wire for hatch? paper towel ok?

OCchickens

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Brea, California
Getting ready for our hatch in 2-3 days!! Any reason not to put paper towel over the wire in preparation? (It's already there -- just checking!)
hmm.png

i always use nonstick shelf liner. You can cut it to size and it is washable. THe god thing with this stuff is it catches most of the egg shell pieces, stablizes the eggs a bit and th new chicks can wlk on it without a problem.

Paper towel will suck up moisture and I heard of at least one person having it dry the chick to the shell resulting in a dead chick. I just use wire. If I have small chicks I put in smaller wire. For buttons I use screen door or window mesh.

Quote:
OH NO! I didn't even think about this!!! I can't fix it now, can I, I already have pipping eggs with paper towels under them
hmm.png

Quote:
OH NO! I didn't even think about this!!! I can't fix it now, can I, I already have pipping eggs with paper towels under them
hmm.png

Take them out.

The chicks will be perfectly happy on the wire, which washes easily. Don't risk interfering with the humidity.

Quote:
hmm.png

Take them out.

The chicks will be perfectly happy on the wire, which washes easily. Don't risk interfering with the humidity.

won't opening the bator to take out the paper towel interfere with the humidity??

can you mist the towel somehow without opening the bator??

Maybe the towel is not going to bother, just keep an eye on things.

many eggs have been hatched on paper towels..

don't panic, yet..

Quote:
Take them out.

won't opening the bator to take out the paper towel interfere with the humidity??

don't panic, yet..

I agree with not panicking ..... take them out.

The danger here is that you will get very high humidity below the towels, and very low above. The chicks will struggle to get out of their shells. The risk in opening the incubator is small compared with the danger of leaving the towels in.

Quote:

don't panic, yet..

I agree with not panicking ..... take them out.

The danger here is that you will get very high humidity below the towels, and very low above. The chicks will struggle to get out of their shells. The risk in opening the incubator is small compared with the danger of leaving the towels in.

Ok, I took the paper towel out, my humidity stayed so I think we are ok, it didn't make the chick very happy though, it was chirping away at me through its little pip hole! SO CUTE!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom