what to put on wire for hatch? paper towel ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OCchickens, Feb 10, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Getting ready for our hatch in 2-3 days!! Any reason not to put paper towel over the wire in preparation? (It's already there -- just checking!)[​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am wondering the same. I have that no-slip stuff you put in cupboards on mine. I have 2 pipping right now and I just heard a cheep! [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i always use nonstick shelf liner. You can cut it to size and it is washable. THe god thing with this stuff is it catches most of the egg shell pieces, stablizes the eggs a bit and th new chicks can wlk on it without a problem.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Wonderful! Thanks Conny. [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Paper towel will suck up moisture and I heard of at least one person having it dry the chick to the shell resulting in a dead chick. I just use wire. If I have small chicks I put in smaller wire. For buttons I use screen door or window mesh.

6. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:OH NO! I didn't even think about this!!! I can't fix it now, can I, I already have pipping eggs with paper towels under them [​IMG]

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:OH NO! I didn't even think about this!!! I can't fix it now, can I, I already have pipping eggs with paper towels under them [​IMG]

Take them out.

The chicks will be perfectly happy on the wire, which washes easily. Don't risk interfering with the humidity.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin

Take them out.

The chicks will be perfectly happy on the wire, which washes easily. Don't risk interfering with the humidity.

won't opening the bator to take out the paper towel interfere with the humidity??

can you mist the towel somehow without opening the bator??

Maybe the towel is not going to bother, just keep an eye on things.

many eggs have been hatched on paper towels..

don't panic, yet..

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Take them out.

won't opening the bator to take out the paper towel interfere with the humidity??

don't panic, yet..

I agree with not panicking ..... take them out.

The danger here is that you will get very high humidity below the towels, and very low above. The chicks will struggle to get out of their shells. The risk in opening the incubator is small compared with the danger of leaving the towels in.

10. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:won't opening the bator to take out the paper towel interfere with the humidity??

don't panic, yet..

I agree with not panicking ..... take them out.

The danger here is that you will get very high humidity below the towels, and very low above. The chicks will struggle to get out of their shells. The risk in opening the incubator is small compared with the danger of leaving the towels in.

Ok, I took the paper towel out, my humidity stayed so I think we are ok, it didn't make the chick very happy though, it was chirping away at me through its little pip hole! SO CUTE!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by