What to supplement feed with for newly hatched ducklings and poults?

picklepat

Chirping
Mar 30, 2021
I'm fairly new to having backyard poultry, only for about a year and a half. I bought my first chicks from TS in September 2020. They told me to feed them chick starter, which I did and all was fine but they did not recommend any other type of supplements, vitamins or electrolytes. When the chickens were about 6 months old I started "collecting" other poultry types, I now have grown ducks, geese, turkeys and chickens. I have a cabinet incubator and am a little (A LOT, lol ) addicted to hatching babies! My question is what is the best thing to feed them (the hatchlings, ducks and turkeys)? I do not mean pre-packaged feed as I get that at my local feed store, I mean do they need any additional supplements or vitamins or will they be fine with just the starter crumbles? I know ducklings need non-medicated chick starter and turkeys get game or quail starter (28% feed) but do they NEED anything else? The first ducklings and poults I raised I did not hatch and just fed them crumbles and they were great but did the hatchery or store give them anything before I got them? I want to make sure I give them the best start I can because they are all soooo adorable! I'm also new here so if I should have put this somewhere else or if someone already has a thread addressing this I'm sorry.

I just give niacin to ducklings... But all those vitamins and stuff can get expensive and I've raised healthy, laying, happy, chickens. I've never used them before.

Thank you for the great info! So do I use niacin gels or tablets, I'm not sure what form they come in lol? Do I dissolve it in their water?

Apparently there is flushing or flush free Niacin tablets. Which one do you use and how much do I give them? Oh and for how long do they need it? Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom