1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What to use for roosts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rubysmom, Apr 1, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    What size do roosts for 4-6 week old chicks need to be or does it matter? I am wondering about the size around dimension. Should they be wood or could you use PVC pipe?
    thanks

2. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Hello!! We used a shower curtain rod in our brooder for them to roost on. I sure you could use any material for the roost. Our rod seemed a little slippery at first for them so we wrapped duct tape around it for traction. Obviously, sticky side down! Good luck!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm just using a tree branch in my brooder right now. I've also seen people use 2x4's in their henhouses with the 2" side up for them to roost on. I would assume that anything that isn't slippery or that they can get a good grip on would be okay. Of course not the poisonous plants, but anything else should be a go! Happy Chicken Raising![​IMG]

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Wood is definitely best.

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Wood gets my vote. Chickens don't perch like other birds; they literally sit with their feet as flat as possible so they can balance the weight of their breasts. Some mods advise using a 2x4 with the 4" side up! That would work for young chicks and also very large chickens. [​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    As long as it isn't slippery you can use many things.

My preference is using a 2x4 with the 4" side up so the chick/chickens can sit on their feet to keep them warm. Here, in Colorado, that's an issue it may not be where you are.

7. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    My 4 week olds have been using a 1"x1" since they were born. They now have both a 1x1 and a 2"x2" perch. I just nailed them to a 2x4 to get them off the bedding.

BTW at first it's a chicken limbo pole.... [​IMG]

8. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:That's not exactly true airmom, chickens can perch like other birds with no problem. I do agree with the wider roosts if you live in a cold climate if you want to keep the toes on your fowl. In most cases though, the 2 inch side up will be wide enough for the birds to cover their toes, but some breeds that are tight feathered need the 4 inch side up to be safe. BTW, I use wood because it doesn't get cold like some other materials do in the winter, so it works better for them to avoid frostbite this way too. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  9. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    thank you so much everybody. We are learning a ton about chickens!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    it would probably be best to use a tree branch insted of pvc because it would get so slippery

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by