What to use for roosts

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
What size do roosts for 4-6 week old chicks need to be or does it matter? I am wondering about the size around dimension. Should they be wood or could you use PVC pipe?
thanks

Hello!! We used a shower curtain rod in our brooder for them to roost on. I sure you could use any material for the roost. Our rod seemed a little slippery at first for them so we wrapped duct tape around it for traction. Obviously, sticky side down! Good luck!

I'm just using a tree branch in my brooder right now. I've also seen people use 2x4's in their henhouses with the 2" side up for them to roost on. I would assume that anything that isn't slippery or that they can get a good grip on would be okay. Of course not the poisonous plants, but anything else should be a go! Happy Chicken Raising!
big_smile.png

Wood gets my vote. Chickens don't perch like other birds; they literally sit with their feet as flat as possible so they can balance the weight of their breasts. Some mods advise using a 2x4 with the 4" side up! That would work for young chicks and also very large chickens.
smile.png

As long as it isn't slippery you can use many things.

My preference is using a 2x4 with the 4" side up so the chick/chickens can sit on their feet to keep them warm. Here, in Colorado, that's an issue it may not be where you are.

My 4 week olds have been using a 1"x1" since they were born. They now have both a 1x1 and a 2"x2" perch. I just nailed them to a 2x4 to get them off the bedding.

BTW at first it's a chicken limbo pole....
smile.png

Quote:
That's not exactly true airmom, chickens can perch like other birds with no problem. I do agree with the wider roosts if you live in a cold climate if you want to keep the toes on your fowl. In most cases though, the 2 inch side up will be wide enough for the birds to cover their toes, but some breeds that are tight feathered need the 4 inch side up to be safe. BTW, I use wood because it doesn't get cold like some other materials do in the winter, so it works better for them to avoid frostbite this way too. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom