What treat did your chickies get today?

Pics
A roll, apple, and some lunch meat. Tomorrow they may get scrambled eggs
lol.png
lol.png

Okay, everyone is giving their chicks "BOSS". I just worked out that this is black oil sunflower seeds, am I right? And if so, how do you give it - just in the shell like the ones you feed chickadees? Do the hens eat them whole or peck the kernel out? Sorry to be so ignorant. I'm learning a lot, though, about what to give/not give my girls. By the way, I feed them all the leftover oatmeal my daughters leave at breakfast, including some with raisins. Should I be concerned about this? My girls (human) love oatmeal, so my girls (poultry) aren't generally eating very much.

Pumpkin! Last year I waited until after Halloween and collected orphan pumpkins from friends and a few free ones from Safeway. This year I did not wait and bought one for them yesterday. After a day of walking around it and trying to figure out how to get in (they seemed to know it was for them) I shaved off a little of the hard outside skin and punched a hole or two with a potatoe peeler. They are busy getting into the meat of the pumpkin and it will last them for a week or more. They love their pumpkin and it looks cute sitting out there in the lawn.

Okay, everyone is giving their chicks "BOSS". I just worked out that this is black oil sunflower seeds, am I right? And if so, how do you give it - just in the shell like the ones you feed chickadees? Do the hens eat them whole or peck the kernel out?

I toss a handful seeds into the run whole and they run around like crazy going after them. They eat them shells and all.​

Back
Top Bottom