What treat did your chickies get today?

I don't know if you would call it a treat, but yesterday the girls got their first rat/mouse. They were playing keep-a-way but I did see that many of the girls had a piece to themselves!

We call treat time, "Party on the Patio," just outside their coop. They had oats toasted with sunflower seeds, egg, and molasses. And, of course, MEALWORMS!!!!
I noticed today that these five hens, repatriated to our home after a dog-frenzied massacre a month ago, are almost totally recovered and growing fat and sassy. Only one has any lasting sign of the attack. Her neck feathers are not yet filled out. We just love our new pets.

I learned a lot about the huge array of foods that seem to be okay for the chicks. Oh what fun they will have now. But, today they got quinoa and rice with fresh organic corn and peas. They also picked some raspberries that are too ripe for me. My main uncertainty though is grapes and avocado, I thought they were toxic. Anyone have any additional info on this? Inadvertently they also stole my cabbage/kale/arame salad when I put it down to open the run but it was fun watching them.

I learned a lot about the huge array of foods that seem to be okay for the chicks. Oh what fun they will have now. But, today they got quinoa and rice with fresh organic corn and peas. They also picked some raspberries that are too ripe for me. My main uncertainty though is grapes and avocado, I thought they were toxic. Anyone have any additional info on this? Inadvertently they also stole my cabbage/kale/arame salad when I put it down to open the run but it was fun watching them.

Don't know on the avocado but grapes seem ok . I know of several people who let the chickens help themselves to grapes with no ill effects . I recently visited a guy who has a large area enclosed with 6 foot chain link fence . He planted 50 vines around the fence and plans to keep planting more . He uses very few grapes but lets his layers free range in this area . He only has about a dozen layers . Needless to say his birds eat a lot of grapes in season .

their own egg and I am sad because I hear this is a bad habit to brake :-(

This can be cured . There are different cures . The one I use works for me . I use a dog nail clipper to trim the beak back to where it bleeds . Have some blood stop powder on hand before you start . Most farm stores carry this .I think I got mine at Tractor Supply . I also put a golf ball in the nest . The beak gets tender much like when you trim your nail too close . Pecking on a hard shell or golf ball hurts a bit and they stop . Changing their environment can also help . Free ranging will help if they are currently confined and bored . Collect eggs often as any broken eggs can start the habit .

My girls enjoy watermelon and corn on the cob they are going to miss these garden items in a few weeks.
I haven't tried mealworms yet will they eat the freeze dried ones if I can't find live ones this is not something I ever looked for but I'm sure the pet store has freeze dried ones.

My lawn has lots of dandelion greens and white clover and I give them a big pile every day. They eat the pile like little piggies. LOL

Back
Top Bottom