What treat did your chickies get today?

Here: http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shop-mealworms/

Might as well order a decent number...then you can have some for breeding and some for feeding. I started my colony in February and just had babies hatch this week. It will be a few more months until they're big enough to feed out. I figure by next spring I'll have enough for regular treats.

how many will i need to feed 5 chickens?

i have two 10 gallon fish tanks lying around (my fishes died.. so)

what's the chance of success ?

i'm in AZ i have a full patio cover so i can keep them in the shade all day.. but they will be out in 110-120 degree heat...
hmm.png

how many will i need to feed 5 chickens?

i have two 10 gallon fish tanks lying around  (my fishes died.. so)

what's the chance of success ?

i'm in AZ i have a full patio cover so i can keep them in the shade all day.. but they will be out in 110-120 degree heat...:/

Depends entirely on how many you plan on giving them how often. :) They lay a lot of eggs, but their lifecycle runs about 7 months or so. So I would buy enough to keep your chickens in worms for 7 months + your breeders.

I keep mine inside. As long as you don't let anything mold and sift out the frass and dead every few months or so, there isn't any odor except oats. They won't climb out of a fish tank, so no escapees. 110-120 degrees might be a bit much for them...they won't have the option of retreating to a cooler microclimate in captivity.

Also, something I figured out recently: if you include dermestid larvae/beetles in your colony, you won't have to pick out any mealworms that have died...they eat them for you. A nice time-saver.

Ask at your local feed mill/store for oat groats/rolled oats. Cheaper to buy 50# bag. You can rebag in Ziploc and store in deep freeze. Just leave out to come to room temp before you use for beetles. :D

Bucket of weeds + fresh kale, spinach and mustard greens from the garden. Also some nice fat green pea pods - just love to hear my cockerel Charlie go "looklooklooklooook" to the girls when he finds a pea or bug.

Back
Top Bottom