What tricks have you trained your ducks to do?

I must say @Crazy Maizie you're very talented to be able to take video AND throw tomatoes! I couldn't even start taking video of my flock quickly devouring the butt end of a watermelon. By the time I set it down & started the video they'd eaten all the red out of it. lol I think it only took them about 2-3 mins to eat it down to just the rind. Which they came back later & ate most of it too.

Couple questions, how old are your Muscovy's?
And what are the pinkish spots on necks of the 2 ducks in last 2 videos? Looking at the 2 ducks they appear to be same type of mark.

Oh, I taught my ducks to go to the bedroom coup at night but only if I give them a little food in the coup. Something I'm trying to change to keep bedroom cleaner. Hard to break a learned behavior. And taught one to stop biting me as least so far.

I tried to teach them to come when I whistled. They do when they feel like it. lol

I must say @Crazy Maizie you're very talented to be able to take video AND throw tomatoes! I couldn't even start taking video of my flock quickly devouring the butt end of a watermelon. By the time I set it down & started the video they'd eaten all the red out of it. lol I think it only took them about 2-3 mins to eat it down to just the rind. Which they came back later & ate most of it too.

Couple questions, how old are your Muscovy's?
And what are the pinkish spots on necks of the 2 ducks in last 2 videos? Looking at the 2 ducks they appear to be same type of mark.

Oh, I taught my ducks to go to the bedroom coup at night but only if I give them a little food in the coup. Something I'm trying to change to keep bedroom cleaner. Hard to break a learned behavior. And taught one to stop biting me as least so far.

I tried to teach them to come when I whistled. They do when they feel like it. lol
Thanks. Now they are demanding tomatoes every night, but they won't eat the red diced up ones. They only want these yellow cherry tomatoes. They will be sad here in a few weeks once I've picked them all. Lol

As for the spots, those are caruncles on their necks. My males have them on their heads and necks. You can see them better on the 2 at the end because those 2 are brothers and always tussling. They like to tussle with their "dad", but I've got them separated now. I let them out of their separate pen in the evening while I'm out there. They are currently looking for new homes. But, so far the separation is working well. Their feathers are growing back. When they were out free ranging they fought all of the time and have lots of feather damage - so that's why you can see their neck caruncles better.
Those 2 are a year old. The rest of my muscovy are 4 yrs. My runners (which I don't think I videoed) are just 5-6 months.

Oh my goodness! I love the tomato catching!!! Even if you are doing most of the aiming, they are still trained to stand there with their mouths opened ready to catch! Very impressive!!

My ducks know their names, come when called, and go to bed when told. They are very food motivated so I'm sure I could teach them other tricks.

My ducks jump if I hold food over their heads. But I don't have a cue word for them. It's kind of adorable.

When we are gardening together I point at bugs that I find for them. One day I smashed my finger on a rock and said, "ow!" All my 6 ducks ran over making yummy noises looking for something delicious in the dirt. I realized that when I find something for them in the dirt I say, "oh!" With excitement. So, sound cues are absolutely learnable! This was only after having them outside with me for 2-3 months.

I've seen people teach chickens to play xylophones or ring a service bell. I'm confident ducks can do that, too.

Haha! Yeah, my ducks know that a shovel means delicious, too. It makes it very challenging to garden quickly, but much more motivating to garden longer.

I've also seen that tomato lump slowly sliding down while I anxiously watch! My ducks jump up and harvest cherry tomatoes themselves, gleefully swallowing them whole.
Mine are confined right now due to a fox 🙁 otherwise they would get their own tomatoes as well.

Back
Top Bottom