1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of duck is my duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AxolotlLove, Apr 16, 2016.

1. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    Harmony was sold to me as a female crested buff Orpington duck but all buff ducklings I've ever seen are yellow. She has a pure pink bill (hard to see camera not best iphone 4 camera) and pinkish feet. I know she can't be a khaki because her feet have some yellow on them and her chest is a yellow. She can't be a mix I ordered her from ideal poultry (they messed up our order 2 times, one all dead ducklings and 2nd time only 2 ducks were in when we ordered 4. We kept the too (Harmony and MoonMoon a magpie and just ordered our runners again who are coming Friday)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    That doesn't really look like a buff duckling. You are correct that they usually look more yellow. You won't know for sure until it starts getting its adult feathers, but it doesn't look like a typical buff duckling.

This was my buff as a duckling all the way to the left.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a buff duckling and she is also a lot more yellow with orange feet.
    [​IMG]

4. AxolotlLove

Jan 8, 2016
    Oh dear, my brother will be so upset he wanted me to get a buff more than anything. I'll be a bit mad if she ends up being a mix breed or a khaki Campbell but she has a pink feet and bull so is that possible? I can't believe Ideal screwed up our order AGIAN. if anyone else knows what she is please tell Me! And I'll keep y'all poster as she grows up.

5. AxolotlLove

Jan 8, 2016
    Btw, she is smaller than my magpie duckling if that helps s

6. AxolotlLove

Jan 8, 2016
    What Is your duckling on the right?!?! That looks like Harmony only without pink bill

7. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

That was my blue Swedish. Yours doesn't look like a blue Swedish; in fact I don't think I've ever seen a duckling that color before. No idea what she will turn out to be, but it will be fun seeing her grow. Maybe she is an uncharacteristically dark buff, who knows? Be sure to post pictures as an adult!

8. AxolotlLove

Jan 8, 2016
    Lol ok well I'm excited as well! They are only 4 or 5 days old and already growing so fast! Another thing, she is silent. She almost never peeps. Only if I'm holding her sisters and even then it's so soft I an barley hear her. I'm fine with her being mixed my brother will just not be happy [​IMG]

9. AxolotlLove

Jan 8, 2016
    Here are some more pics [​IMG] she is so spastic running around everywhere jumping over chicks.
    [​IMG]
    She has yellow on her feet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Definitely not a buff, looks more like a khaki Campbell to me, or a mix of some sort. SUPER cute tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by