What type of fan works best inside coop?

So, if dust in the fans are causing fire hazards then it seems having a fan sucking air from outside would be best for keeping the fans clean, assuming there was an overhang to keep rainwater out of the fan.

If people use these inexpensive box fans built for the house, I wonder if you just as easily could attach a $1.00 flat furnace filter on the intake side of the fan to cut down on the dust clogging up the fan. Sure, you would have to clean/replace the filter as required, but I hear that these house fans clog up with dust and become fire hazards.

Also, for regular maintenance, I wonder if using a leaf blower on the fan would clean out the dust, or is the chicken dust just too sticky? Still think the person suggesting an Agricultural Fan (3 models less than $120.00) probably had the best idea.

Of course, but some site configurations make this impossible.
The west side of my coop shed and run has no natural shade from ~noontime onward.

Understand that fully. I made my coop the best I could for where I live, but if it turns out to be lacking in some area, I'll have to think about work arounds because I don't have the money (or desire) to rebuild.

Of course, but some site configurations make this impossible.
The west side of my coop shed and run has no natural shade from ~noontime onward.

Same here. We were very limited as to where we could put our coop and the west side gets more sun than I would like it to. We have planted several trees, but it will be a few years until they are large enough to shade the run. Last year I bought shade cloth and put it over the whole west side of the run and that helped tremendously.

That said, I do have a box fan on the opposite side of the run which blows under the coop, which is where they like to hang out during the hot part of the day. They must like it because I find them under there all the time. However, I am going to save up over the winter and get one the the industrial fans previously mentioned. That is a great idea. I do not put a fan in their coop as they have windows on 3 sides that I keep open and there is ventilation at the roof line above the roosts. Also, since our coop is in a secure run, I can let the back doors open at night if necessary.

Also, I have an old wooden ladder hanging in the run and the girls will sometimes choose to sleep there instead of in the coop. Our nights have been in the 50's, so I am not worried about them being hot at night. Even if it stays warmer at night, they have plenty of ventilation and should be quite comfortable.

If people use these inexpensive box fans built for the house, I wonder if you just as easily could attach a $1.00 flat furnace filter on the intake side of the fan to cut down on the dust clogging up the fan. Sure, you would have to clean/replace the filter as required, but I hear that these house fans clog up with dust and become fire hazards.

We have just started using a box fan with the furnace filter and so far it seems to be working well. We're in Maryland and its been very hot lately and the chickens really needed something.

I also use a big fan that draws cooler air into the greenhouse (which is empty during the Summer) and blows it out the wire roof of the coop. In the summer I remove 3/4 of the solid roofing and only leave enough to cover the roosts in case it rains. So most of the coop roofing is wire barrier. They do fight about who gets to sit where the air is blowing. When it's 105 in the day and the nights cool 'down' to 85 or so then we all need a break.

Also, for regular maintenance, I wonder if using a leaf blower on the fan would clean out the dust, or is the chicken dust just too sticky? Still think the person suggesting an Agricultural Fan (3 models less than $120.00) probably had the best idea.

That's what I do in my two shops, put a 20" x 20" filter on a fan and filter out the dust from machining and wood working. In the new coop I have two fans that draw air from outside and blow inside to cool down during the dog days of summer here.

The roost box in use now seems to have enough ventilation and shade to not need a fan... and I've crawled in there a lot in the summer making modifications.

JT

I have a 20x20 box fan hung from the ceiling and blowing out of high vent holes I cut on the side of the coop and attached an air filter on the inside (to keep gunk out of the fan and keep it from burning up) that way cooler air comes in the bottom and warmer air is blown out of the top (also helps with keeping the air more fresh in the coop).

Plans to mount fan in plywood that will cover the window to block some early morning sun and make air flow more efficient when running.
upload_2019-7-7_9-23-21-png.1837527
Finally Fixed!!
upload_2019-7-12_14-22-24.png

Back
Top Bottom