What type of quails and how do I sex them?

Farmerabr169

Chirping
Nov 8, 2017
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
Hello, so I’ve got some baby quails with eggs I got online, they all seem healthy but I don’t know what gender they all are. I’ve looked up an few videos about feather sexing and vent sexing but I really just can’t tell, I’m new to quails and I’m used to chickens so if someone could help it would very much appreciated :)

i don’t know a lot of the vocabulary for quails but in a lot of videos people call quails like this pharaoh and I was wondering if they are pharaohs or something else. Thx.:)

I'm new to quails too. I have a flock that is 8-9 weeks old. Another one that is 4 weeks old. You will have to wait closer to 9 weeks to tell who is who. Go to the quail tab and click on Bobwhite update: sexing them.

We're the eggs creamy coloured with lots of big, brown spots? Those are Coturnix eggs. These are the Pharaoh colour and they will all start out spotty chested but red will start to come through on the males chests around 3-3.5 weeks old and they will slowly lose their spots until their chests are a lovely rusty colour.

Here are some photos of a male, taken about 5 days apart from memory, showing how they change:
Young pharaoh male (2017_09_25 23_10_47 UTC).jpg

Can you see the tiny spots of rusty red just starting to come through?

Before long it turns into this:
Pharoah male (2017_09_25 23_10_47 UTC).jpg

You cannot vent sex Coturnix until they are sexually mature and I've been completely wrong quite a few times using that method. It's much easier to observe their behaviour and come to a conclusion from that. But with this colour the difference will be quite apparent very soon.

If the eggs were pure white then they will be Bobwhite quail. They can be sexed I think from around 10 weeks old when the white starts to come through on the males heads. I haven't kept them before so double check my memory!

Back
Top Bottom