What was your free mystery chick from Murray Mcmurray hatchery??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chicken farmer, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    My daughter picked out a Blue Cochin too! :) My total amount of chickens would be 62 with all the new ones coming BUT I did have to order 3 breeds in st run so I figured there will be some extra roosters we won't be keeping. I am guessing with the chick loss and extra roos we will get between 25-30 hens out of 44 to add to my flock of 25 hens. I like the dual purpose birds. DH is going over the thought of getting strictly meat birds to add to the freezer for winter. I think we may give it a try later this year. We have never hatched eggs out incubator or broody as we have only had chickens 8+ months but I think I might prefer the broody hen method. I can't wait to learn more about that in the future! I am getting so excited for the chicks to arrive. I will spend the day today and tomorrow getting everything all ready! :)

[​IMG]

2. ThatFarmerChick

ThatFarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    We will attempt the broody hen way next year. Right now I do not have a broody hen.

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    A couple of years ago when my family ordered from Murray Mcmurray we received a Sebright as our mystery chick. She was so cute! but not very friendly. Last year the dog killed her. [​IMG]

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    We received in our order a few years ago the most evil, mean spirited creature ever, a white crested black polish rooster
    who was eventually sent to freezer camp.

5. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    I have ordered from them several times but forget what all I got. They were always boys though. The one I do remember was a white laced red Cornish bantam. Sweet little guy. Hated the cold though and I felt sorry for him. During the winter he would insist on climbing into my coat when ever I was in the pen.

6. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    This year I got a buff laced polish as my mystery. He/She is only a week old and I have no idea what gender. At first I thought definitely a rooster, but I'm questioning that since it's getting wing feathers similar to a pullet. I can't seem to find much about accurately sexing polish chicks [​IMG]

I am really hoping it's a pullet, as I would love to be able to keep her!

7. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    Wing feathers do not lie. if they are not even and the two on the edge stick out or are longer definitely a pullet. Also if the feet and legs are thin, you got a girl.

8. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    My chicks are almost two weeks.
    I received two extra Cochins. I am guessing that they are my Mystery Chicks. I better go get pics so that I can show them off.

9. ThatFarmerChick

Sep 3, 2014
    Snow Hill, Maryland
    [​IMG]They do not have names yet.

10. GotPoofs

GotPoofs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is our free chick. Does anyone have any idea what breed? I didn't realize how many types look like "chipmunks" I thought she was a speckled sussex, but she's redder and has gray stripes instead of white and a almost purplish wash to her legs. Any ideas?:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by