1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what was your male : female ratio in a st. run from Ideal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Dec 15, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I really don't want to have male and they only sell sultans st. run....are they an honest hatchery that gives 50/50 or sexes some females for themselves leaving a higher concentration of males [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I ordered from them 2008 -5 white leghorn(4 boys,one girl)5 danish Leghorn(3 boys .2 girls)5 Light Brown Leghorns(4 boys one girl)5 Dark Brown Leghorn(4 girls one boy)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a good ratio. From my bantam order, I got 14 hens and 7 roosters.

4. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    ordered 3 straight run bantam cochins- 2 roosters, 1 hen

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Straight run is a crapshoot whether you get the from a hatchery or not. I got some hatching eggs from a neighbor once. An even dozen. Put them under a broody and got a 100% hatch. Also got 100% roosters.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Of all the straight runs I've had from Ideal, it was mostly 80 to 90 percent roosters.

If you are going to order straight run, always order more than you need. 25 chicks might be somewhere about4 to 5 pullets so if you need more, order 40-50 chicks and sell or eat the roosters.

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    If they only sell that breed as straight run, I can't imagine any reason that they would short you on females.

But do keep in mind, the 50/50 ratio only works when you are dealing with a lot of chicks. When you are only talking about a few, anything can happen. You can get all males, all females, and anywhere in between.

I recently hatched 2 batches of eggs. Got nineteen chicks total. The first hatch was 3 female, 6 male. The second hatch was 7 female, 3 male. Add them up, and you're getting close to that 50/50 mark. But that first hatch sucked! I just had to try again.

The advice to order more than you need is very sound advice. Just have a backup plan for getting rid of your extra roos.

And good luck!

8. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

In my d'uccles I got about 50/50 with a few more females than males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by