what was your male : female ratio in a st. run from Ideal?

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
I really don't want to have male and they only sell sultans st. run....are they an honest hatchery that gives 50/50 or sexes some females for themselves leaving a higher concentration of males
somad.gif
rant.gif
barnie.gif

I ordered from them 2008 -5 white leghorn(4 boys,one girl)5 danish Leghorn(3 boys .2 girls)5 Light Brown Leghorns(4 boys one girl)5 Dark Brown Leghorn(4 girls one boy)

Last edited:
Straight run is a crapshoot whether you get the from a hatchery or not. I got some hatching eggs from a neighbor once. An even dozen. Put them under a broody and got a 100% hatch. Also got 100% roosters.

Of all the straight runs I've had from Ideal, it was mostly 80 to 90 percent roosters.

If you are going to order straight run, always order more than you need. 25 chicks might be somewhere about4 to 5 pullets so if you need more, order 40-50 chicks and sell or eat the roosters.

If they only sell that breed as straight run, I can't imagine any reason that they would short you on females.

But do keep in mind, the 50/50 ratio only works when you are dealing with a lot of chicks. When you are only talking about a few, anything can happen. You can get all males, all females, and anywhere in between.

I recently hatched 2 batches of eggs. Got nineteen chicks total. The first hatch was 3 female, 6 male. The second hatch was 7 female, 3 male. Add them up, and you're getting close to that 50/50 mark. But that first hatch sucked! I just had to try again.

The advice to order more than you need is very sound advice. Just have a backup plan for getting rid of your extra roos.

And good luck!

Back
Top Bottom