What? Why now?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ducky 13, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, for some reason my geese only lay eggs in autumn. So I decided I would take their eggs and incubate them. But I was wondering, why are they only laying in Fall? They are (supposed) to lay in February, but they don't....? Also, I was hoping people could give me advise on incubating pilgrim/embden/toulouse eggs. I know the info, just I wanted to make sure I could get a baby. I try to keep the humidity around 70% but sometimes it goes to 60% and my dad said it had bumped to 100% at one point. I use my chicken eggs turners to turn them, believe it or not I managed to fir about six eggs in those turners. Anymore advise? I have a towel over the incubator as well.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Iain Utah can probably give you advise on hatching in an incubator .. Hopefully she'll check in.

3. MishkaMash

MishkaMash Just Hatched

Nov 18, 2016
    I just popped mine in at 37.4, candled them every few days and kept water in it. We weren't even sure if they were fertilised until I saw the embryo, so I didn't obsess over it and it all went smoothly until one hatched heaps earlier than the other and I had to take him out while she was pipped. :/

4. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

So far i see one developing... at first I thought it got stuck to the shell because of how close to the shell it was, then it kept growing so -shrugs-. Anyway, I keep the temp around 100 degrees because I can never get it at 99.5 perfectly. I filled the water wells and soaked a towel beneath to help the humidity as well as a wet washcloth, and it hasn't bumped it more than 65% -_-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by