What wild birds fit thru chicken wire?

plantguy90

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Moorpark, CA
Still having a problem finding really little bird poop in my feeders every day, smaller than a grain of rice. The run is chain link, but covered in 1" chicken wire and the top is covered by 3/4" aviary netting, but still find poop every day. they seem to raid in the super early mornings. Problem is my flock gets repeated infections of cocci, really bad as I have lost way more birds in a year more than I keep, so it causes quite a turnover in the flock. Are there birds that can get thru?

Do ya'll have house wrens there ? They can fit through and carry numerous diseases that can infect your flock.

House wren? That's a new one, will have to research... I do know we got sparrows. We're in so. california. Thinking about removing the feeder for a while and just feeding them myself, maybe then I can catch a glimpse of one of them thieves and how they are doing it.

How about smaller wire (hardware cloth) or even plastic netting/fencing over the chicken wire?

We have tons of birds that can fit thru 1 in wire. Wrens, finches, sparrows, chickadees. And they all will eat feed. They just think you have a squirrel proof feeder just for them inside that run!

Also, if the poop is smaller than rice grains, I would think mice.

Comparing the pics on the web to what I find in the feeder, it could be mice, though its a hanging feeder and I used to block off the chain with a disc as that's what I first suspected, but since there's new poop every day, thought it may be a bird. its not like bird poop that we all know of, since there's nothing white or milky, just hard little grains.

Now I am confused, if its mice, then how are my birds always catching cocci? Every few months someone drops deap from cocci. I do have amprolium now, since sulmet doesnt do diddly.

Mice dont transmit cocci, right?

Quote:
Mice can transmit several diseases, not sure exactly which ones. But, that was my first guess and was going to say maybe mice, but you already had that figured out.

Cocci can live in the soil, so i would think mice could track it in too. Plus those little buggars can jump, climb, swim and hang upside down if that means a free meal. If the poop shows up overnight, think mice. If poop is only showing up during the daytime, think birds. Hopefully birds, cause mice are a heckuva lot harder to get rid of.

Or just borrow someones game cam and see who's doing it.

Back
Top Bottom