What will happen when only one egg hatches?

Justagoose_18

Songster
Nov 28, 2018
Hi everyone! I need some help with my goose eggs. This is my geese’s first year laying (white embden) and I know that the fertility and chance to hatch is really low but I tried it out anyway and put them in my incubator. I put 8 eggs in first and none of the eggs were older than two weeks. 2 out of the 8 were fertile. I kept all the other eggs in until day 10 where I threw the clear ones away. At day 9 or so I lost 1 out of the 2 viable eggs(blood ring)- my hands were thoroughly sanitized, as is my bator so it has to be the age of the parents? -Now it’s day 25 and I only have one egg in there. The egg has slightly dipped and I can see the gosling moving under the air cell. Also when I put the egg to my ear I hear a faint clicking which I’m guessing is it’s breathing? There’s only a few days till hatch, which I’m hoping will happen successfully, but I’m scared because I only have one in there due to hatch at that time and it’s going to be alone! I know the extreme imprinting nature of geese but I really did not think that only one would make it. :( I’m incubating in a forced air GFQ incubator(digital pro circulate air) which has hatched out duck eggs with 100% rates at times.(this is my first time hatching goose eggs) In fear of the goose being alone I put in another egg on the 20th (eggs were put in on the 3rd) which also wasn’t fertile. On the 24th I put in two more which are both fertile!!!:celebrate Only problem is that they are going to hatch almost a month after my first one does. So in conclusion, I’m wondering if it’s okay to hatch just one goose egg by itself. After a month, if I introduce the gosling to other goslings will he/she be ok? I don’t want him/her to solely depend on me so it can’t live with other geese. I know it will think it’s human but is it cruel to put a mirror in the brooder? Or a stuffed toy? I’m just really scared. Thank you everyone!!! I’ll update if I get an internal pip soon. I’m planning to lockdown tonight or tomorrow depending on what I see! Thank you!!

A stuffed animal would help to make it not so lonely. Believe it or not, when I had a sick chicken I put a stuffed chicken in it's pen for extended treatment of an illness and it would cuddle with it at night just like it was real. When it was time for her to return to the coop, she wailed for it until I set it in the coop and now she is happy as can be and still cuddles with it during the day sometimes. So no, it is not cruel to put a stuffed animal with the gosling.

A stuffed animal would help to make it not so lonely. Believe it or not, when I had a sick chicken I put a stuffed chicken in it's pen for extended treatment of an illness and it would cuddle with it at night just like it was real. When it was time for her to return to the coop, she wailed for it until I set it in the coop and now she is happy as can be and still cuddles with it during the day sometimes. So no, it is not cruel to put a stuffed animal with the gosling.
Thank you so much! Will it have to be a stuffed goose? I don’t know where I will find one haha.

Back
Top Bottom