what would be the most cost efficient and strongest type of fencing for an ostrich pen?

minsin56

Chirping
Oct 2, 2019
texas
im planning on getting an ostrich or two but im not sure what kind of fencing would be the most cost efficient but also the strongest

Welcome to our community, minsin. Let's see the opinions of those with pet birds -- fenced birds -- roll in. But wow . . .

In the interest of the well-being of the critters, the only option for fencing is 100% what is required to keep the birds safe. Sadly, there's not much 'economy' in this.

SE

Actually there is a MUCH more cost effective way then the recommended woven wire. When I picked up my birds from the breeder I was FLOORED. All he had was split locust post, 2 posts high (maybe 4-5ft off the ground). He said in 5 years he's had zero issues. I ignored this and spent $$$$$$ on 6 foot high woven wire. Ostriches are dumb, they can't see it. I have had nothing but issues. I created new pens with wood posts (that I harvested from my property, so FREE) and you guessed it, zero issues. Hope this helps

I don’t know how strong ostriches are nor do I own any, but this pallet fence is designed for large pigs and it can be modified to fit your needs. It would take a while to collect all of the pallets, but it seem to be relatively inexpensive.
AA61277F-F3DB-49E4-9F5E-2FB06EEE9405.jpeg
Ps. This picture shows only a small portion of the fence to give you an idea on the structure.

I don’t know how strong ostriches are nor do I own any, but this pallet fence is designed for large pigs and it can be modified to fit your needs. It would take a while to collect all of the pallets, but it seem to be relatively inexpensive.View attachment 1982391 Ps. This picture shows only a small portion of the fence to give you an idea on the structure.
I have a portion of fencing for my ostriches that is pallets as well

Actually there is a MUCH more cost effective way then the recommended woven wire. When I picked up my birds from the breeder I was FLOORED. All he had was split locust post, 2 posts high (maybe 4-5ft off the ground). He said in 5 years he's had zero issues. I ignored this and spent $$$$$$ on 6 foot high woven wire. Ostriches are dumb, they can't see it. I have had nothing but issues. I created new pens with wood posts (that I harvested from my property, so FREE) and you guessed it, zero issues. Hope this helps
where would i get locust post from?

I see that the pallet fence has a strip of metal visible. That's a hazard.
And if they try to 'surf' over the fence, which is what the emus do, they'll get their legs in through the gaps; break them; and need to be put down.

SE

Back
Top Bottom