Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Chickens

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Quails

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
I had to pass on what would i buy, since i own 8 hens and 1 rooster. I would never own Ducks again unless i had a pond, pools for them was just too much work. I do miss them a lot! They are fun to have! If you do get Ducks, keep it at 6 :celebrate When it rains a lot? They will dig holes and eat mud.. :lau

i generally look at it like chicken eggs are my emergency food supply and my yard can just about feed them .. ducks are the nastiest creatures on earth unless you have a large place and big pond ... quail would have a good meat value but would be more work in my scheme and im pretty sure they have to stay penned up and cant free range so would be harder to feed ..

why are trying to figure this out for? Are you looking into getting some birds or selling them? There are lots specific things involved in making these decisions other than a poll.
Oh, yes! I know. I wouldn't start without doing a ton more research. But its a small dream of mine that has to be set aside because of my life situation... So I'm kind of just feeding it by asking questions :)

i generally look at it like chicken eggs are my emergency food supply and my yard can just about feed them .. ducks are the nastiest creatures on earth unless you have a large place and big pond ... quail would have a good meat value but would be more work in my scheme and im pretty sure they have to stay penned up and cant free range so would be harder to feed ..
Hmm.. good point(s)!!

I had to pass on what would i buy, since i own 8 hens and 1 rooster. I would never own Ducks again unless i had a pond, pools for them was just too much work. I do miss them a lot! They are fun to have! If you do get Ducks, keep it at 6 :celebrate When it rains a lot? They will dig holes and eat mud.. :lau
My friend's ducks love the mud. It is apparently both bath, snack, and toilet at the same time! XD

Well this is a loaded question. Depends on your space and goals.

Chickens: Need a decent size coop and run. They provide lots of eggs and many are dual purpose so can also produce meat if you go that route. In the spring-fall mine pretty much are self sufficient eating bugs and goodies on the farm.

Ducks: Holy cow they're messy. Can't mix them with chickens long term. Its often an easter egg hunt looking for eggs. They don't produce as many eggs as chickens and its a little different taste. They're really wasteful with food so honestly the amount they produce versus how much they eat wasn't worth it for me. Plus they liked to escape and get in my livestock's water making a mess of that and after having to dump that every day for a month it got old really quick.

Quail: Depending on your area certain kinds aren't a good option as they don't winter well. They have to be in smaller pens/cages versus a coop situation.

Back
Top Bottom