Whatcha Making for Supper?

Something for a nice cold winter night

Cook rice: however much you want times that by 2 and add that much water to a pot. Bring it to a boil then add rice. Stir a lil then put a top on drop the heat down to low and time for 20 min do not disturb at 20 min take off the heat and let sit for 5 min then fluff. Set aside

Now Get
A diced large white onion
A sliced pack of celery
A diced bell pepper
A head or 2 of garlic. Peeled and smashed
A pack of your preferred smoked sausage
A pack of chicken legs or thighs, (dark meat)
Equal parts oil and flour. I don't know how much I've never measured. Enough to cover the bottom of a good size stock pot. 1/16th or 1/8th" inch deep or so.
All the normal seasonings
Salt, pepper (cayenne if you like), garlic and onion powder, etc and I use Tony chacheres cajun seasoning

Boil chicken in very seasoned water
Remove chicken set aside to cool (pull after its cooled discard bones and skin)
Strain and reserve the stock

Put oil in nice size stock (soup size) pot just a tad past medium about 1/16th" or 1/8th" deep.
Let heat up after it has add equal amount of flour. Stir pretty much constantly till darker brown. 20 mins or so. Make sure you don't burn it by letting it sit. If you do then do another one it's ruined and will ruin the entire pot
After that add some salt, pepper, tony chacheres, the smashed garlic and about half the onion, celery and bell pepper. Stir that around for a few minutes till the stuff is softening (about this time the house will smell amazing). Then add the strained chicken stock, the pulled chicken from the bones, and the sausage that has been sliced in 1/4" or so roundels. Add water if necessary and cook down for at least 2 hours preferably 4 adding water as necessary to let everything marry properly. After that let rest for 30 min or an hour. Get you a bowl and put some rice then some gumbo and a pinch or two of file' (ground up sassafras leaves). I don't like file never have don't think I ever will. Enjoy with some type of baked bread or rolls or crackers (tourists use crackers). Warm crispy French bread I like the best but that may not be available to you.
I know there's a million ways to make gumbo. This is how I've made it in the swamp since I was a kid. Simple and with cheaply available ingredients as how it was/is intended. Not all expensive and fancy with weird stuff.
You're family will joy and I hope you do too.

Stay tuned for jambalaya and sauce piquante
Thanks so much! I use a lot of Tony Cacheres too!

Yesterday was a break from the endless turkey leftovers.

Egg rolls, chicken veggie pot stickers, and crab cheese won tons.

Yes we went 100% deep fried. :oops:

It lead to an interesting discussion of "what else can we stuff pot stickers with?".

Tonight.....I think we will choose one of the leftover turkey recipes from the taste of home list....

Back
Top Bottom