Whatcolor cross of Silkies does it take to make Pink silkies?

lol Jean

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Actuall both Cath and me have red silkies so all reds bred to the lavenders would all be 100% silkies. This question was asked because I told them about the color on another thread.

Tim I do have a question.

I have 2 reds (a pair) the hen has no black on her, the roo just a few feathers in the tail, if bred together will the reds clear up as far as the black disappearing from the tail, or do I need to cross in some buffs with no black on them too?

Katie

Quote:
Actuall both Cath and me have red silkies so all reds bred to the lavenders would all be 100% silkies. This question was asked because I told them about the color on another thread.

Tim I do have a question.

I have 2 reds (a pair) the hen has no black on her, the roo just a few feathers in the tail, if bred together will the reds clear up as far as the black disappearing from the tail, or do I need to cross in some buffs with no black on them too?

Katie

Katie you are correct if both birds are silkie- I was assuming one was not a silkie.
. If both are silkies, I will have to go back and edit the post. A big DUHHHHHH on my part.

I would cross the male with the female and then backcross a male from the cross to the red hen. Keep back crossing males to her until you get black free males and females. If you use a buff orpington there are genes you would have to breed out, that would require more time and effort.

The genetics behind the elimination of black from the wings and tail has not been published but the elimination of black is evident in the orpington breed (as you noted). The elimination of black is most likely caused by a combination of genes.

Tim

I have seen some buff silkies that do not have black on them, most do but i have seen some clear. These are the ones I was referrring to but really hard to find. If I was going to cross in another breed to clear anything up it would be Cochins, lots easier to clean stuff up that way. The buff Cochins I have seen do not have black on their tails.

Katie

You would be best off finding a clear buff silkie than using a cochin. Crossing to another breed is definately not worth it, just to eliminate a little black in the tail, which isn't even a DQ. As they age, many will molt out the black tail feathers.

Thanks everybody for the great info on the questionI asked.. I really learned a lot. My personal favorite was the suggestions to get a #12 bottle of red dye!!!
tongue.png
. Thanks again I appreciate all the response--Wayne in Huntingdon, Tennessee

Pink porcelain silkies = lavenders only bred to lavenders, (lavenders never ever bred to black), + clear deep mahogany reds, and breed the resulting plum with red tips to a porcelain. Then breed back to lavender again, or breed a light porcelain already from these breeding back and forth to a light pure lavender. Not self blue with the black edging in the feathers you can see with a magnifying glass, but pure light purpley, blue lavender. Go back and forth and you'll have them. I gave away and sold my extra pq lavenders and plums this summer, (really a plum color), away this summer to local people for pets. Now I wish I had them for Katie. Cath

Back
Top Bottom