What's going on here?

Mel281

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Minneapolis-ish, MN
Got some new chicks today, this one is not looking so good, but what exactly is the problem?

That's bare skin under what I might call a swollen vent, also reddish looking.

Anyone have any ideas? I am not sure how to begin helping this chick if I don't know what the problem is called. Swollen vent? Prolapsed vent?

It looks like she could have a bit of prolapse, but the vent looks swollen. Is she having a hard time pooping?

You can her a soak in a warm epsom salt bath to help with the swelling then apply some honey or hemorrhoid cream. Just dry her off good so she doesn't get chilled.

If she is eating anything besides chick starter, provide some chick grit. It may be best until the problem clears to give her wet chick starter (mix starter with a little water to make a paste like oatmeal). Encourage drinking if she doesn't drink a lot. If you have them provide her with some poultry vitamins and probiotics (plain yogurt is good - the yogurt can be mixed with the chick starter if you like).

In addition to what Wyorp said, a swollen vent may indicate that your chick has constipation problems. Watch this chick carefully. If it peeps rapidly as it tries to poop, that means there's a buildup of poop inside causing pain when it tries to poop, thus swelling the tissues around the vent.

By all means get as much liquid into the chick as possible. If the chick is eating, try mixing a little coconut oil or olive oil into a wet mash. Smear some of the coconut oil on the irritated vent to help soothe the inflammation.

If the chick has no appetite, I've had good luck using crumbled tofu instead of regular chick food. It's a pre-digested form of what's in chick food, and usually a sick chick will eat it when it won't touch its chick food. Also, get some poultry Nutri-drench and sprinkle it over the tofu or moistened chick food.

Be prepared, though, for this chick to go downhill. Many times when you have a chick with problems such as yours is having, it has genetic defects prevent normal processing and absorption of nutrients. Hopefully, this chick is a fighter and is going to pull through.

Thanks everyone. I might see if I can take her back to the local farm I bought her from. I thought she seemed especially docile, and asked her about if she seemed well. Lady thought she would was just scared but I think she would let me exchange her.

Last edited:
wait, if this chick could in any way be sick, do not take it back to the farm. Some chicken sicknesses are airborne and you could make the farmer's chicken's sick too. Just se if youc an get a replacement and put tis chick down at your place.
Best,
Karen put it down at your house.

Now I'm not sure what to do. She actually seems like she is doing well now, but the vent is still a bit prolapsed. Better, but not 100%. I'm torn between replacing her or keeping her. I'm worried that the prolapse is going to be an ongoing issue and I'm not really sure I want a cuckoo Marans anyway. The lady sort of talked me into it because she seemed so calm and she couldn't find a female barred rock that I asked for. On the other hand, she does seem sweet and I hate to abandon her. I have to act soon though because I don't want to add a solo new one when the others have all just gotten used to each other. Sigh.

Now I'm not sure what to do. She actually seems like she is doing well now, but the vent is still a bit prolapsed. Better, but not 100%. I'm torn between replacing her or keeping her. I'm worried that the prolapse is going to be an ongoing issue and I'm not really sure I want a cuckoo Marans anyway. The lady sort of talked me into it because she seemed so calm and she couldn't find a female barred rock that I asked for. On the other hand, she does seem sweet and I hate to abandon her. I have to act soon though because I don't want to add a solo new one when the others have all just gotten used to each other. Sigh.

Hi,
Put the chick down. It's just "not right" This is going to be an ongoing issue.
Ask the breeder for a replacement. You definitely do not want chicks from this
female with this condition. Put it out of its misery. Get a neighbor to do it for
you if that helps. You won't be the first raiser to take that avenue.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom