What's so special about Silkies? [got them!]

Thanks to all the silkie lovers. We started on accident with a hatchery surprise. We have lost a lot due to predators. I have hatched, raised, and lost many. I never had more than 3 at any time. I now have 23 in the brooder. They are staying there until they are much older. Our oldest that we lost loved to sit with me on the porch swing. She would make that cooing noise that I love. I also take them for outings with the kids when someone wants us to bring a chicken or 2. They are amazing mothers. I have not had one reach egg laying age yet, but I am excited. I do enjoy bathing mine and fluffing them. They seem to enjoy it as well. I have one that almost falls asleep in the tub. They don't eat alot, and don't require much space. We are in the process of building a "silkie coop". As soon as that is complete, I will be trying to find some show stock eggs to hatch. I am VERY excited!! It only takes one special bird to help you to see the beauty in their breed. I will never say never to any breed. In addition to my silkies, I have a mixed lot of layers and dark cornish for meat. Oh, and I almost forgot, my Standard Poodle!!!
thumbsup.gif

I'm a large fowl kinda girl but I was just dying to get some silkies and I did, I'm not overly impressed with them and there not the people friendly guys that some said they were (At least mine aren't) There not mean but they certainly don't care for the special attention that my other breeds seem to crave, And I never had a mean Rooster until.............
20212_flame.jpg
came along! Anyway mine will have a happy home here til they pass or I can find a home for them. I won't get any more silkies, going to stick to my Big birds. LOL

I think just like dogs, chicken breeds can be overly bred and the results can be far from what the true breed's nature was intended. Different chickens also have different personalities. I think if you went to a breeder and picked out a few adults that met your needs you would be pleasantly surprised. I've raised a lot of Silkies and had very few aggressive roos, in general most are more docile.

7205_paint_silkie_roo_3.jpg

One of my Silkie Cockerels

Last edited:
Quote:
That is a beautiful little boy there! I think that I was disallusioned(sp) by all the Silkie hype. And I probably got the only Jerk Silkie Rooster ever. LOL
my other boy silkies are very sweet, he Just is NOT! Problem is I can't put him in with the silkie hens and Rooster because he constantly keep the pot stirred up, and I tryed putting him in with the other chickens and the girls LF can't stand him. My big boys weren't really mean to him they dont chase him around except when he is trying to get with one of the girls, but they do kick him or try and peck him while he is running past them. The girls are all ok but not friendly really, but I'm used to my other girls that come to greet me when I come in the coop. How ever, silkie eggs are very tasty, and they make the perfect fried egg sandwich. LOL Oh on that I always heard that silkie hens were poor layers that is not the case with these girls I have eight and they lay almost everyday some everyother day 6-8 a day from their pen and I think thats pretty good.

LOL, yep I'm up to my eye balls in Silkie eggs most times. My problem is i haven't met a breed of chicken I didn't like.
lol.png
I love my Silkies, and Lav D'uccles, my bantam Polish & Hodans, Seramas, JG's, B/B/S Orps, Speck Sux....................................................................................................................................
tongue.png

Chickenzoo, I was looking at your chicken pictures and you have very nice birds! Your speckled sussex hen that is mostly white could be my Uno's twin sister, She is georgous! Sorry to get off the silkie theme just had to mention it. LOL

Haha yeah shes the one Little chicken lady! I forgot that you wouldve seen her, but she still won second in variety! lol, heres a pic of her asfter a half an hour of rinsing!

57908_purple.jpg

I was so embarassed! But alittle girl came up to me and said "If hannah montana had a chicken that would be hers!" Dont ya just love kids??? lol

Back
Top Bottom