Whats the best chickens for eggs?

I have one Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers hatched October 26th 2016 and some started laying the Sunday before Easter (22 weeks) and others took a little bit longer. Now we get between 6 and 8 eggs a day. Usually 7. Last week we got 4, 6, and 6, not sure what happened to slow production or if they just took a break or what, but then yesterday we got 7. Anyways, usually it's one of the Easter Eggers and one of the brown egg layers who take a break. The others have mostly been laying an egg a day since they started. I think one of the original brown layers took a break once a month or two ago and I've gotten a few broken ones when the second EE finally started (one EE was the first to start laying along with a brown egg layer) but now they're all back to laying normally. And they never go on strike or anything. If they do stop for one day, they are right back to laying the next. These are birds that are supposed to lay 5 eggs a day, the Orpington is 3-5 I think, yet here they all are laying every day mostly. I sometimes keep track of how many we get a day but it hasnt been consistent. I think I'll start keeping track again and see how many they lay a week. Maybe try to identify the eggs too. But yeah, sorry, got to rambling, but sometimes birds lay better than expected
"These are birds that are supposed to lay 5 eggs a day,..."

Really? That's a lot of eggs per day for one chicken! :)

JS

Woah. Those are some pretty eggs! I only get tiny white ones since the only laying hen I have right now is a Modern Game Bantam.

Our Appenzellar Spitzhauben's lay excellently, about an egg a day for each hen, so, with just four of them, I can get 28 eggs a week. ^^

It depends on what kind of layer you want. I read sexlinks are high production for eggs, but it comes with a cost. Tons of health issues because their bodies pump out eggs excessively. I opted not to go with sexlinks now. I lucked out and got salmon faverolle instead. They lroduce all year round, more in spring and summer around 5 a week per hen and winter is about 2 to 3 per week per hen. I also wanted good tempermented chickens. I buff orpingtons this spring and they arent laying yet. They are not the most friendly very skiddish but they are nice easy to handle.

Buff Orpingtons are the friendliest...heck I would say that most any of the Orpingtons are friendly....they are the Golden Retrievers of the poultry world. My Buffs layed large to extra large eggs.

I love the Golden Retriever analogy! I have one, named Lady Buffington, and she lays much smaller eggs than our RIR, SL Wyandotte or BL. Australorp. Her eggs are also pale in color compared to the others. Very easy to tell which are hers.

I have 14 - 1 1/2 year old RIR hens and a RIR Roo. I consistently get right around a dozen eggs a day now that the days are long but the numbers fell way off in the winter. RIR a great layers but they are mean, the hens pretty much stay tore up from pecking eachother. Feathers gone off the backs and tails, they are not a pretty bird to look at any longer. No blood just feathers gone from pecking.

I just picked up 15 buff orpingtons chicks last week and am going to swap out my RIRs with BOs when the BOs start laying.

Im looking for a gentle, kind chicken that lays large brown egg and is cold hardy. My grand daughter loves chickens and turkeys but due to the skitish nature of my RIRs she's cautious of them. Heck even my wife picks up a stick when she has to go into the chicken yard. I hope my BOs will take to my grand daughter because she would really love that.

Last edited:
My 2 laying hens (Res Stars) are giving me 1-2 eggs per day each, I have consistently gotten anywhere from 14-18 eggs per week from 2 hens. I have heard they burn themselves out after just a few seasons but they are a dual purpose breed and I buy them at started pullets for $10. A 2gal feeder lasts 4 birds about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks with a BR and EE all sharing the feeder. As for temperament - it's the same with every animal, dependent on the individual: "Rawr", our head honcho hen, lays jumbo eggs, quickly puts new comers in there place and makes sure they soon don't forget it either but with people, even kids, she loves attention! She comes running to you, she screams at you went walk past the hose because she likes to play in the water, she was even thrown in the shower with me as a prank- which turns out she loves showers too. But "Princess Fluffy Buttcheeks" (don't laugh, my kids named her) is picky. She lays med-lg eggs, doesn't care if new chickens come around as long as they don't steal her food, she'll come close enough to ask for treats and the hose but heaven forbid if you reach out a friendly hand, she'd think you were axing her right there!
We've also got Little Annie, our BR who should be laying any day now. They are supposed to be great layers too so we'll see. L.A. is SUPER friendly! She wont come fly up on you but if you pick her up she'll climb all the way onto your shoulder and make it known that's her spot! she loves the kids too.
EE's are difficult.. I've got 3 none old enough to lay just yet. Casey thinks everything is out to kill her, including the roost pole. Anna and Elsa can't get enough attention and scream at you to hold them. I can't accurately report egg production since mine haven't started yet
Our BO "Tuff the Buff" (no, she's a lady too.. I know.. Kids) is probably more friendly than any of them. Again, she's not started laying yet so no reports on her breed EP either. But goodness she is loving!!! before I can open the door she is flapping on it trying to get through the door, she looks angry and she pecks at your fingers but once that door is opened! She hops straight onto your arms and just talks and talks! Her wings are not clipped, yet she sits in the backyard, on the arm of her 10 year old BFF just chatting away looking around. She's never hopped off or had interest to go anywhere other then an arm or lap, I am pretty sure she's never even walked around the yard free range..
I myself am more looking for production and friendliness. They are all great breeds through research and testimonies. But each bird is different. I am completely sold on my RS and when it's time for a hen to go I'll always replace them with a $10 started RS pullet, we'll just have to wait and see how the others lay and if they can keep up with the RS!

Back
Top Bottom