What's the biggest bug/animal/(fish?) your chicken has caught?

A spider.
roll.png

When a rat or mouse comes to visit, they scream and run to the opposite corner of their yard.
tongue.gif

Does anyone harvest mice? Like in a trap that they can get in, but can't get out?
I leave one of my feeding bin lids a little loose and somehow mice are getting in but can't get out. I found out I could do this yesterday. Got 3 yesterday, 5 today. I just get some gloves and the feed scooper, to hit them, and there we go. Moochie got one and stole another one from another chicken. It's fun to see them run around with the mice, better than tv.

Crikey your hens do catch the oddest things hehehe biggest thing i saw my hens eat are fat slugs
hmm.png
lol
luv
pam x

Quote:
lau.gif

You have me wanting to catch mice too! But our mice aren't really "mice." They're more small rats. My girls won't give them a second glance, they're just too big. Toads, frogs, snakes, and lizards now, have a reason to run. Biggest one I saw them eat was a toad whose skull looked way too wide to fit but it went down the gullet finally. Gross.
sickbyc.gif

Let's see... Frogs, toads, snakes, mice, shrews, a rather large-ish baby bird (cannibals...)... Aside from the usual bugs and stuff. It's kind funny, but my family gets so mad at my girls whn they eat those things. I mean, I can understand about the baby bird - it was just trying to get back in it's nest - and the toad (I like toads, they're cute), but I personally am more than happy to let them eat the mice and snakes and the shrews and maybe even the frogs too!

Last edited:
I have never seen a chicken do any of these things! Will be fun to see what mine catch when they are here and bigger
lol.png
so does this mean, I could go fishing and give them a fish?

A rat. The body was about six inches long plus the tail. It had gotten into their run and was apparently trying to get out but couldn't. They had it cornered and pecked the thing until it died. Good little chickens.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom