What's the biggest bug/animal/(fish?) your chicken has caught?

Bunches of cicadas and wolf spiders. My ducks chase squirrels however and have come close to catching one, although don't know what they'll do if they manage it. My chickens stalk robins, but I think it's to steal whatever worm/bug the robin was after.

Couple days ago the hens ate a snake, about a foot long. It could have been longer, there wasn't much left when the girls saw it, couldn't tell what kind of snake it had been.

Just read Bear Foot's post, I guess snakes are in trouble if the chickens see them!

Last edited:
Are these snakes the skinny kind? Snakes.. Wow. I wonder if chickens will ever revert to their ancestry and come after us.
hide.gif

Periodically I find dead moles in my yard with no evidence of why they died...the only thing I can suspect is a chicken or a duck got it but tired after pecking it for a while. I've seen them working on mice and giving up after the thing is dead, which makes me wonder about the moles.

The ducks, on the other hand, slurp mice down whole, which gives me the creeps :X

I saw my Sassy a buff orpington mix swallow a mouse whole the other day. I was worried she'd get crop bound doing that but no she was fine and the mouse was good size not a baby mouse. My Pekin had a small bird in her bill one day I made her drop it. Poor little bird was scared to daeth. She had it by one wing.

Last edited:
Fledgling pigeons caught and killed but not consumed. Mine also catch and consume small snakes, adult mice and froglets (leopard, green and bulfrog). Interms of girth the largest they seem to consume are fledgling indigo buntings.

The will eat the large dog-day cicadas bit will not eat the smaller periodic cicadas. And Chinese mantids as full size females. Very cool to see little chicks take on an insect that is half their size that fights back. Chicks almost always prevail.

As for fish, mine pound down bluegill fry I bring home from work.

Small frog.

Hoping for small snakes, chipmunks and mice. Population has boomed in recent years.Got Turkeys to help --hoping they are bigger and can eat bigger! LOL

Back
Top Bottom