What's the breed of your favorite chicken.....

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
We have six different breeds of chickens and though some are prettier than others my favorite girls is my RIR, Harriet. Harriet follows me around the yard and loves to be held. In fact, today she followed me out front, I didn't see her, and I just found her out there two hours later bawking because she was lost. Ha ha.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to post your favorite girl and what breed she happens to be.

My favorite is my Red Star, Luna. She's the friendliest, she's quiet, and at six, she still pumps out five big pink/brown eggs per day!

My favorite is my Buckeye, Bucky. She's so smart and full of personality. I've never seen a chicken come so close to talking! She is constantly sounding off.

We have six different breeds of chickens and though some are prettier than others my favorite girls is my RIR, Harriet. Harriet follows me around the yard and loves to be held.

It is unusual for a Rhode Island Red to like to be held. Did you raise Harriet from a chick and hold her a lot, or is she a mixed breed?

My favorite of all my flock was an adopted EE I named Michelle. She was a very affectionate lap hen, and when the rooster would focus his attentions on her, she would fly up onto my head. A bobcat killed her summer before last.

Now I have a new fave, Flo, also an EE who looks just like Michelle and is even more affectionate. Michelle knew her name and would respond when called. So does Flo.

This is Michelle.

I got 27 from a hatchery and I didn't get to spend as much time with them as baby chicks as I wanted too. So when they moved to the coop I knew they wouldn't be too friendly. After a couple of month, though, this one chicken started coming up to me when I was in the coop and talking to me. She then started letting me pick her up and pet her. Others then followed, but I named her Girly, and she is a New Hampshire Red. She is still my girl and the only chicken out of 28 that has a name.

My favorite is a little cross breed banty. She is almost 8 months old, and already broody. Her name was Miss Yellow Beak, till DH heard her balking to me from the nest. He changed her name to Gabby :) .

Back
Top Bottom