What's up with my girl?

atucker

Chirping
Jun 22, 2021
I have 4 girls I took in 3 weeks ago. I average 1-3 eggs a day so I believe they are all laying but this one seems to have a raw spot on her backside and some broken feathers on her chest. She has been like this since I got her. they do not seem to be getting better, if anything I would say more are missing than before.

They seem to all get along, if anything I would say she is top of the pecking order... Any ideas on what is going on with her? Her previous owner told me they are around 4 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_125938.jpg
    IMG_20210624_125938.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210624_130251.jpg
    IMG_20210624_130251.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 5
Stress can cause loss of feathers. It's doubtful molting is the issue since that should be happening closer to winter, but it's still possible. When I had feather losses (also in a barred rock) it was due to lice. They are super teensy. I suggest looking very, very closely for lice or mites.

Thank you! I will deff take a look.
Stress can cause loss of feathers. It's doubtful molting is the issue since that should be happening closer to winter, but it's still possible. When I had feather losses (also in a barred rock) it was due to lice. They are super teensy. I suggest looking very, very closely for lice or mites

It looks like wherever they were previously housed, they were sticking their heads through some fencing which pulled the feathers out due to repetition. I wouldn’t worry; the feathers shouldn’t grow back after their next molt in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom