Whats up with Purina Sunfresh Recipe Chick Crumbles?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
My chickens are 12 weeks old and ever since I got them I notice that the Purina Crumbles always gets wasted. It always turns to dust!!!! Does that happen to you? Half of it turns to dust....its a waste of money and feed! I wish they had start and grow pellets. I guess there's nothing I can do....is there? Ughhh it makes me so mad!!!!!

I NOTICED THE SAME THING!!!! OM gosh...... I had another kind of chick starter (that wasn't medicated) I used with my first batch of chicks. But after losing one to cocci, I decided really fast to use only the medicated from that point on. (Demars - I think that was the fitst kind of chick starter, which is supposed to be made by purina too). So then I only bought the medicated Purina chick starter in the red bag.

Anyway, I too noticed it's mostly dust. I even checked the bag because I thought maybe I had it upside down and that's why there was so much dust on top.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!! It is very aggrevating! Especially when the chicks are already kicking and spilling the feed everywhere as it is. It's a double waste! Maybe we should send them an e-mail with a link to this thread???

Last edited:
The last non-medicated Purina feed I bought for chicks (Home Grown variety, their cheaper one) was just powder. I won't buy from Purina usually because I don't want vegetarian feed, but that sure didn't make me want to go back, even if it's the only non-medicated feed in my area.

I had the same with Purina Flock Raiser. It comes in crumbles and the bottom of the feeder got always kinda clogged with all the accumulated feed dust. I switched to Layer Pellets and mixed in the rest of the Flock Raiser as a transition. Now the stupid "turned to dust" crumbles clog the feeder again and the pellets can not fall through. I am done with all kinds of crumbles. Only Pellets in the future !!!!
I don't know if it is a Purina problem or just the crumbles even from other brands.

Ive used 3, started with Dumor the first time out, second I got the local feed mill variety and this last time had to go to Purina because the mill was out. They all do it, I think its just the way with crumbles. My game bird feed for the adults is crumble and it does it too. I accept it with the chicks but for the adults I raised the feeder so theres not so much waste but there still is some dust.

I feel for you. I was so excited to see a locally milled organic feed that I bought a bag of grower without checking to see what type it was. It is a mash. Talk about mess and waste. Although my girls do pick at the spillage there is a ton that is not getting eaten.

I like to feed my baby chicks wet feed as treats (just a little - they devour it so it won't get moldy) and that powdery stuff is perfect for that so I save the 'bottom of the bag' as my 'mush' stash. It goes quickly!
smile.png

I noticed that the Flockraiser crumbles have been mostly just dust too. I've taken to mixing mine with water to make a paste like when they were babies do it doesn't get wasted. The Chick Crumbles, same thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom