What's wrong with my chick?

Uh...the place I got them at put them in that box but their cold so I think their fine huddled up

Usually the box they send you home with is just to get them home. When I got chicks last year they grew up in a big plastic container with wood shavings in the bottom. The food and water containers were on each side. The heat lamp was on all day for the first 5 weeks of their lives.

Keep them warm with a heat lamp, food and water containers full and make sure they have enough room to move around. Crowded chicks can get sick or injured. Oh and keep their living space clean. If they stink the bedding needs cleaned. Good luck with your chicks!

Thanks and today I got every thing that is needed and its there I changed the newspaper for both boxes with my chicks in em and I don't have the heat lamp on beacause in my house it's warm for the chicks cus if I pick one up their warm

Thanks and today I got every thing that is needed and its there I changed the newspaper for both boxes with my chicks in em and I don't have the heat lamp on beacause in my house it's warm for the chicks cus if I pick one up their warm

It might be warm for us but remember they are just babies and they need extra heat. If you see them huddle they are cold. If they are warm enough they won't huddle. I just don't want you to lose anymore chicks because they got cold.

Is this forreal? This is border-line animal abuse. Theres no way you're house is 95 degrees, and there is no where near enough space for those chicks. Have you're parents do some research so they can get you a better set up for those chicks.

Also the lows where you are are still in the 40's and 50's please don't put them outside next week.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that you are trying, but, it would be in your best interest to follow the information given here. You came on for advice regarding your chick. When we explain that you need to get heat on those chicks, it's not a choice, its responsibility. You chose to become a chicken keeper, and even if you are a child, a parent should be assisting with this. You have access to backyardchickens.com, meaning that you have the ability to do research. If you choose not to provide those chicks with a heat source, you will possibly kill them, then you will be out all of your beautiful chicks! If you didn't get a heat lamp, fill an old sock with dry rice, sew it shut and heat for one minute in microwave every two hours even through the night. As for putting the chicks outside next week, I advise against it. Chicks need to stay I. Brooder for 6 weeks, and heat source is weaned off them. Ask wuestions! Don't just guess! These are little lives you took responsibility for.

You may want to consider a much larger box- it will keep them from sleeping and pooping in the water and food dishes. That will make them sick and kill even more of them. There are lots of good resources here to help you raise healthy chicks. Please don't think we are mad at you, we here are only very worried for your babies. Each season too many chicks die out of neglect and lack of knowledge, we want you to be successful in this!

You may want to consider a much larger box- it will keep them from sleeping and pooping in the water and food dishes. That will make them sick and kill even more of them. There are lots of good resources here to help you raise healthy chicks. Please don't think we are mad at you, we here are only very worried for your babies. Each season too many chicks die out of neglect and lack of knowledge, we want you to be successful in this!
X2

Like I said, everything everyone is adding here is so that your birds are happy and healthy!

Please stop talking about my chick that died it's making me cry and I'm just a child stop throwing all kinds of information.and yes I want them to stay inside but my dads making them go out just stop everything your saying I can't do it,its my dad and yeah their my chicks I wanna give em a bigger box,yes I wanna give them heat,and definitely I understand everything,and yes have enough knowledge about MY chicks so please stop thinking I'm not trying my best.just please stop

Back
Top Bottom