What's wrong with my hardboiled eggs???

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes...
I've been having trouble boiling/peeling my eggs. I read that really fresh eggs are harder to peel so I chose some of my older ones. Followed all different methods and finally found a method that seemed to help. My problem is related to the air cell. Why are the bottom's of my hardboiled eggs all hollowed out? Is there some way to prevent this? I had a terrific deviled egg recipe that looks ridiculous!

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes...
I've been having trouble boiling/peeling my eggs. I read that really fresh eggs are harder to peel so I chose some of my older ones. Followed all different methods and finally found a method that seemed to help. My problem is related to the air cell. Why are the bottom's of my hardboiled eggs all hollowed out? Is there some way to prevent this? I had a terrific deviled egg recipe that looks ridiculous!
As an egg ages the liqiud inside begins to evaporate through the shell. The older an egg is or the dryer the conditions it's kept in are, the larger the aircell will be.

Yes as eggs age the air cell becomes larger.

I struggled too for a long time.

Is it that the shells are taking chunks of white with them?
I found that I can get a good consistent result if I use eggs that have never been in the fridge.

I get a pot of hot water, add eggs, turn on the heat to medium high. As soon as it starts to boil heavily I turn the heat off and wait 12 minutes. I then put the eggs in really cold water and wait 15 minutes before peeling.

Crazy but it works for me where everything else failed. Yes even with eggs laid that same day.

I boil fresh eggs old eggs doesn’t matter. Enough water to cover eggs in a sauce pan add 2 tablespoons salt bring to a boil add eggs with a large spoon or ladle boil for 14 min drain and put eggs in ice water bath with enough ice to last 14 minutes. They are ready to peel, never had a problem peeling eggs. So I would use fresh eggs.

So I've got the peeling thing fixed. I do the same method as @21hens-incharge and they peel much more easily. My question is more regarding the air cell and why it's so huge? On some the air cell is so big that the yolk fall right out of the boiled egg. I don't refrigerate typically but maybe I should start? Thoughts?

@Rose Quartz will keeping in the fridge help less evaporate? Right now they are on the counter and it's winter so the heat is going which is probably contributing to more evaporation from the egg. What do you think?
probably would I on't have any hens so all my eggs are kept in the fridge. you could try it out and use a flashlight on the rounded end of your eggs and see at what point the air cells are too large for your liking.

I have no tip. I have given up.

Whenever I make deviled eggs I cook thrice as many eggs as needed, and the ones that are demolished due to peeling reasons, have this hollow air-thing, that can't be hidden by the filling; they become a lovely egg-salad :p Sometimes made with an extra special ingrediënt called anger/frustration. :p

Watching this when someone hás the magical tip..would like to know :p

Back
Top Bottom