What's wrong with my hen's comb?

Bird2break

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Texas
Not sure what type hen she is. I've had her for about 14 mos. she weighs 4.35 lbs. I might add that I bought another hen at the same time. They were young pullets and weighed the same; however, the other hen is almost twice as big. She seems healthy as far as alertness, eating, and active. She lays one egg almost daily. However, she has many broken feathers and her comb looks like it has a fungus or something. Her comb has looked like this for about 6 mos. none of the other chickens have this problem. Her poop looks normal.

I have a pic but don't see a link to post it.

She could be stunted. I had a duck that still looked like he was a duckling when his siblings looked like adults. He died. I hope that it is not the same thing. I don't know what caused that or is there is a way to fix it.

You can post a picture by going to the box the has the smile face and click the first one on that line. It has a mountain and sun. That will allow you to insert a pic :)

Gosh, sorry for the delay. Took me forever to figure out how to insert this picture. Hope it comes through.

And it folds over this area. So I had to lift it up in order to take the pic. The other side is fine, with the exception of a few spots where the roo holds onto her.

Hope this helps. I've tried VetRx, and Neosporin. This a.m. I tried Monistat.

Sandi

Yes, the 4 corners of the coop are cedar. I'm suspecting that my problems could be related to a fungal infection.

I have another hen who has been breathing raspy. I tried several things, then got a Fogmaster Jr. and Oxine AH and treated her and it seemed to get better. Now, it's back. But, we've had really cold weather lately. Guess I'll need to bring her in and give her more treatments.

Now, yesterday, I found one of my hens isolated from the others at roosting time. I've got her in isolation now so I can keep an eye on her. So far, crop seemed impacted. Used olive oil and massaged it last night. I could tell there was a lot of grit in it. It was real hard and about the size of a golf ball. This am seems to have gone down, but not all the way. Just gave her some scrambled egg with olive oil in it. She ate half of it. Poops look normal.

Sandi

Oh, and I use pine shavings in the nest boxes.

Any ideas on what's wrong with the hen's comb??

Thanks.

Sandi

Back
Top Bottom