Whats wrong with my quail

Also, check your feed for mold or moldy smell. I'd also check the mill date for age of the feed while you are at it.

Also, check your feed for mold or moldy smell. I'd also check the mill date for age of the feed while you are at it.
yep i check food and at bottom of one them was mold so cleaned it out and put fresh around a week ago few days before i noticed its head wonky and walking backward

I believe feed mold is one of the main cause of Torticolis (Wry Neck). Early indicator is when then bird starts walking backwards right after feeding.

I believe feed mold is one of the main cause of Torticolis (Wry Neck). Early indicator is when then bird starts walking backwards right after feeding.

My chinese painted quail have started scooting backwards every so often, but no signs of wry neck. I've been feeding them the same crumb since hatching 5 weeks ago though, would they have suddenly changed like this if it was mould? I'm going to empty out the bag and check just in case.

My chinese painted quail have started scooting backwards every so often, but no signs of wry neck. I've been feeding them the same crumb since hatching 5 weeks ago though, would they have suddenly changed like this if it was mould? I'm going to empty out the bag and check just in case.

Scooting backwards can also be a sign of constipation.

I did wonder about that, but it doesn’t look like their normal poop scoot, it’s much shorter and quicker and they don’t puff up to “push”, so I’m still unsure.

Small update on progress
Its been around a week and still bent sideways head but atlest now seems to walk forward half the time.
Incase its heat related i had a fan going 24/7 last day or two to keep room around 15o (last week been like a 30C heatwave) + i been putting ice in some the water incase to warm for them (there housing pretty much a plant greenhouse so traps alot heat even open)

Last edited:
Thank you for considering the heat, I'm sure the ice is appreciated! Are your birds still laying eggs at 2.5 years of age?? Average lifespan for these little birds is two to two and a half years, so your birdies are little grandmas now.

I hope the wry neck clears up. Since the moldy feed is gone, it should only be a matter of time!

yep i still get eggs every day or two on adverae but there thin/weak shells like normall but i think that just there diet (basic quail feed + grit/oystershell +veg/bugs once a month/when have some)

(like will crack open like a chicken egg strengh)

Back
Top Bottom