What's wrong with my Silkie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrCool101, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MrCool101

MrCool101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    My silkie hen, Mollie has developed these strange swolen boil type things on the side of her face.
    [​IMG]
    Could anyone tell me what they are, and what I can do about them?
    [​IMG]
    Here is the other side of her head, to be used as a comparison.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ouch, I would think possibly a bite or sting? It doesn't seem like any illness..

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think the has gotten stung or bit by some insect. They should go down eventually. If she allows you, you might wants to put a little T tree cream on them. If they are not bothering her then just leave them to go away on their own.

4. MrCool101

Mar 18, 2012
    Well, I've had a closer look at her today, and I found even more of them in other places, and some look really sore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not to mention the ones on her face have seemingly gotten bigger.
    [​IMG]
    They don't seem to be bothering her, but she doesn't like it if I try and touch them.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Perhaps give her a little Benadryl , and see if that helps. I don't know what could be going on.... Do you have fire ants where you are? Have you checked her for biting mites and lice? I'd give her a warm bath in Dawn soap and give a good look over...... Poor girl.

6. MrCool101

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you for the advice.

I gave her a (much needed) warm bath like you said, but aside from a few more bumps, I didn't notice anything else. She's had lice before, but I'm pretty sure they're all gone now, and as for fire ants, I live in the UK and I'm fairly sure we don't have them over here.

I guess I could try giving her some Benadryl, although I'm not too sure on how much I should give her...

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would give her a few drops in the mouth for three days and see if anything improves. I wish I had more advice, but I've not seen anything like it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by