What's wrong with their feathers?

2nd batch of Fluffy / F1 chicks are out of the incubator and into the brooder. It looks like we have 3 splash fluffies and 1 blue fluffy with another 4 chicks with smooth feathers. This is the same ratio as the previous hatch actually, which I thought is pretty interesting.

Grand total for my flock:

1 Splash Fluffy rooster
3 Blue Smooth F1 hens

17 Blue and Splash Smooth F1 chicks, aged 7 weeks

3 Splash Fluffy chicks, aged 13 days
1 Blue Fluffy chick, aged 13 days

3 Splash Fluffy chicks, aged 4 days
1 Blue Fluffy chick, aged 4 days

The incubators are about to be full of Olive Layers, so I'll be taking a month off from hatching these fluffies - I guess that might create some availability for shipping some to the group
wink.png

Quote:
So, would there be the potential to hatch Fluffy feathered birds, either blue or splash, from the potential eggs? Or would you just be selling eggs that would result in F1s?

I feel like it may be time for me to jump into the craziness that is this project...
smile.png

Right now the hatch rate for these Fluffy / F1 eggs is 52.63% (two hatches so far). The eggs develop and are alive at lockdown - they just aren't hatching. Those that do zip and get stuck I have helped, but they are weak and pass on soon after. Those that are alive and in the brooder required no help.

Of those chicks that hatch, about 50% are fluffy, which breaks down to 75% Splash and 25% Blue.

I have removed the pure Ameraucana girls and am no longer 'creating' smooth F1 birds.

I was watching my five little F1s this morning, and it's looking more and more like they are mostly roosters!
barnie.gif

I really hope there's at least one pullet in there!

Seven little fluffies out on a field trip while the brooder was cleaned.

Dad is Splash Fluffy from Jubaby, moms are Blue Smooth Carriers (f1 cross).

14631_fluffy-chicks2.jpg

14631_fluffy-chicks3.jpg

Quote:
They're really adorable, I especially love the little blues.
love.gif

Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to join this spectacular project.
fl.gif

Quote:
th.gif
hide.gif
I don't know how my DH and son are gonna take it when I tell them I love something as much
as I love them..
droolin.gif
love.gif
.... those babies are to die for!!! I want to cuddle them and nuzzle them and squeeze them
and hug them and call them George and......
love.gif

Well from the 18 eggs that I got from jujubaby, I now have 2 chicks. The post office was very rough on these eggs. Most didn't develop, some quit and 6 made it to lockdown with odd air cells. None completely hatched on their own. I was going to let them go but when my cochin chick hatched out and still nothing I decided to check. One I helped pip due to shrinkwrapping. That one didn't make it, only one pipped internally on its own. I had 4 others that I was trying to help at one time and 3 out of 4 just didn't seem to have the will to live. I tried but they just gave up. I hope these 2 make it. The first one is finally starting to eat and drink the other one just lays there but the first one was doing that yesterday so I still have hope.

I definitely was not expecting this much difficulty, even though I was forewarned. I just recently got my hatcher to the perfect humidity for all other eggs to hatch fine without shrinkwrapping but I think it was the way the air cells were in these. They went down each side of the egg kind of like a figure eight. Will try and get pictures soon.

I'm writing a bit late, but Julie, I received the box of eggs from you right on schedule!

There was a HUGE dent in the box tho, and I thought "Uh-oh, this is going to be a box of YUCK" - but NONE were broken, thanks to your packing job!!!

However, 9 of the 16 eggs had detached air cells, as indicated by the big bubble floating around inside each one. After a 48 hour rest, they were still the same. So I took the 7 good ones and set them in the incubator on Saturday night. I let the 9 bubble eggs rest over the weekend and gave them to my broody Buff Orp/Wyandotte cross, Lynette (we have a group of Desperate Housewives here), to sit on yesterday. If anyone can hatch them, Lynette can!!! If they're MEANT to hatch, that is...

So keep your fingers crossed for us!!! Hopefully I'll be able to give a good hatch report over Memorial Day weekend!

Back
Top Bottom