What's your chickens' favorite type of grass/plants to eat?

Fluffy1804

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
So - about halfway through my meat-bird adventure I finished the large 1,000sq ft run for my layers. Since the layers were still in the brooder, I decided to move the meat tractor into the run, and then just let them out during the day. Then they go back into the tractor at night.

They had the grass in the tractor torn up within a few days, and now it's just pure mud (I tell myself it's mud. I know it's not). I've been putting pine-shavings down in there every week or so too. After I process them in the next week, I'm going to shovel all the manure out and into the compost bin, and the ground will obviously be completely bare (and fertilized to the max). So - my plan is to re-seed it with something that my layers are going to love. I'm also going to leave the tractor over it (with the tarp off) so the layers can't get to it until I want them to.

All of that said - what do you recommend I plant? Just normal grass, or a certain variety? Or is there another plant I could throw in that they'd go crazy over?

Thanks!!

My flock loves grass and they don't care what kind it is! I grow it in an old kiddie pool with a cover until I'm ready to let them at it. The trick is to find something they won't eat! You can plant herbs for them, edible flowers like nasturtiums, squash, whatever. No tomatoes, the greens aren't good for them. Melons are popular. Realistically anything you plant will need to be replanted. Have you ever considered a grass frame? It would keep your layers from scratching up all the grass roots.

I don't use weed and feed so my lawn has grass and weeds.
I let them free range an hour before sunset daily and their favorite is clover. But they also nibble dandelion greens and grass. Really anything green. I have a variety of weeds that I don't know what they are but they eat them.
20190702_193801_resized.jpg

GC

There was nothing my in-town chickens loved more than a rampant, healthy beggar tick -- not that anyone would ever plant those on purpose. 🤣

IIRC, there are pasture mixes made with chickens in mind. I'm sure I've seen them in passing when shopping online.

Millet is popular with every bird I have ever owned. Easy to grow, my feed store sells straight millet for $1.00/lb. I let some go to seed if I can keep the wild birds off of it long enough. You need it under netting or you won't get any! My African Grey gives it 4 claws up! A fresh piece of spray of millet seed is a treat she will do anything to get. As young plant it is like a grass they eat the leaves.

My birds love any thing however are very fond of lambsquarter which is so much of a weed it comes back after the chickens destroy it.

Mine go nuts over mustard greens...it’s not grass, but if you’re looking for easy to grow plants, they’re awesome. Plus when you get sick of them you can turn them into the soil and they do an awesome job amending it for whatever you plant next.

Back
Top Bottom