What's your favorite/friendliest breed

By far, my friendliest chickens have been my Ayam Cemanis. Just absolute love bugs - I have a pullet now that runs right to my hand when I’m outside.

The next would my RIR, then I would say Orpington and Wyandotte. My Sussex, CCL and olive eggers have been the most skittish, and I have a mean Easter egger that is fixing to be rehomed. They are all so fun ♥️

The most friendly breed I've ever had or seen has been aseel. Mostly all gamefowl, but I've had experience with aseel. Their intelligence and friendliness is like no other, they are just such a joy to be around

People keep chickens for a variety of reasons, which impacts their favorites based on their preferences. I'd like to know your favorite and friendliest breed. I know a big part is just their overall individual personality. I've read about the buff Orpington war lol and I love mine and even though she's super sweet, she isn't necessarily the friendliest. I have 3 black Australorps, 1 olive egger, 1 buff Orpington. Two of my black australorps are lap chickens.
I recently added 2 polish, 1 sapphire olive egger, and 1 Easter egger. They're about 5 weeks old.
My Easter egger is SO friendly!! She jumps up on my arm almost on command and loooovvvveees to be held. There doesn't seem to be much information on sapphire olive eggers?
Anyways. If I were to get more chickens........ which I'm trying so hard not to but I just love how sweet this Easter egger is, what would be your suggestion for friendly birds!
I don't care about their laying quantity because I don't eat eggs, they're strictly pets :) thanks!!
I predominantly have Easter Eggers and Prairie Bluebell Eggers. I adore them...if you are only keeping for enjoyment I would suggest a silkie. They are friendly and loving and adorable and hilarious all wrapped up in a fuzzy poofy little bundle. That aside, my favorite pullet is Fern my Easter Egger...she greets me every morning and shares the gossip of the night before...boy does she have a lot to say and she tells me all the dirty secrets and more that happen behind closed coop doors 🫢. My favorite cockerel has got to be my Leroy. He loves to cuddle, be petted and gives the most awesome hugs 😍. But by far the cutest and funniest is my silkie Marble...just watching her makes me smile and laugh 😂.
IMG_20230515_071244.jpg
IMG_20230515_071346.jpg
IMG_20230515_070910.jpg

I predominantly have Easter Eggers and Prairie Bluebell Eggers. I adore them...if you are only keeping for enjoyment I would suggest a silkie. They are friendly and loving and adorable and hilarious all wrapped up in a fuzzy poofy little bundle. That aside, my favorite pullet is Fern my Easter Egger...she greets me every morning and shares the gossip of the night before...boy does she have a lot to say and she tells me all the dirty secrets and more that happen behind closed coop doors 🫢. My favorite cockerel has got to be my Leroy. He loves to cuddle, be petted and gives the most awesome hugs 😍. But by far the cutest and funniest is my silkie Marble...just watching her makes me smile and laugh 😂. View attachment 3508321View attachment 3508322View attachment 3508323
Omg I love Ferns little Mohawk puff😍 sooo cute! What breed is the grey bird in the back behind Leroy? I'm currently obsessed with grey birds!

I've mostly only had one or two of each breed I've had, but so far my friendliest have been Jersey Giant, Barred Rock, and Salmon Faverolles. I also had a Golden Comet who was super friendly to me, but idk if I can call her friendly because she was a complete bully to the flock lol.

I have a batch of babies in the brooder right now who are 3.5 weeks old and so far the Easter Egger and Buckeye are extremely friendly. Surprisingly, the Buff Orpington chick is the least friendly of the group. She isn't mean but just is not very social and doesn't want much to do with me lol. She's not afraid of me though and will still hop up on my lap sometimes.

Photos of the babies on a field trip, plus lap chicken Ursula.
signal-2023-05-17-07-49-49-734.jpg
signal-2023-04-14-08-32-18-878-1.jpg

My favorite and friendliest breeds I have currently are my four chicks I got from Tractor Supply: a Rhode Island Red Bantam pullet, an Old English Game Bantam cockerel, a Silver Sebright Bantam pullet, and a Golden Sebright Bantam pullet. All of them are curious and smart, and they let me hold them for long periods of time before they want down. The Old English Game Bantam cockerel is my favorite when it comes to colors (he is Black Breasted Red), and he is the best flier out of the four. All of them are friendly and are excited every day to learn new commands.

Back
Top Bottom