Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

No cinnamon triangle on his wings!
Ding, ding, ding! Although this guy did display a single primary on each wing, that was edged in cinnamom at the age of 2 years! Hence, this guy has some good evidence of Wheaten in his background. He hatched with BCM chick type down, albeit, he was darker in the facial area. All though I had thought he molted out the cinnamon primaries, on a second look this evening, it looks like he still may have some trace of cinnamon on his left wing. I will try to wrastle the beast tomorrow and get a pic if this!

Asking so I can learn here... is the coppering on the front of his chest ok, or should it extend further down his chest? Looks like he has a broad chest, though.... and I believe his tail looks ok, too... Also did notice no cinnamon triangle..

I like this kind of lesson!!! Post more of them, please
hide.gif

Correct. Point trying to be made here, is this is how the Black Copper and the Wheaten roos got mixed up in the original breedings of this breed. Had they not known about the wing triangle, there are other ways to tell the influence of the Wheaten from the BC. Two toned hackle color, light colored legs, white/grey fluff at the base of the tail (although that did not show up until this year) , light horned color beak, and lack of ample cinnamon wing triangle. People that breed Black Coppers, will also be presented with the "spot" chick that pops up with the coloration of a Wheaten chick. That should tell you right there that somewhere in your birds' past there is a Wheaten involved.

Asking so I can learn here... is the coppering on the front of his chest ok, or should it extend further down his chest? Looks like he has a broad chest, though.... and I believe his tail looks ok, too... Also did notice no cinnamon triangle..

I like this kind of lesson!!! Post more of them, please
hide.gif
His hackle colors do extend around to the front enough for me anyway. He is very broad, and thick bodied all the way back to the tail. He is standing in an odd, and upright position right as I snapped the pic, as the kitten kind of goosed him with it's tail as it walked by the roo; so the roo kind of stood more upright than normal!
gig.gif
He also has more tail right now than he usually has, as about 4-5 old sickle feathers are still hanging on from being molted. While he has his definate faults, he has proven to be an excellent flock guardian, a cat guardian, and a great chick baby sitter. Luckily for me, he does not care to breed with any of the hens I have now but one, a Splash girl. This poor guy was a lone chick to hatch in a clutch, and had hell to pay trying to infiltrate into the chicken world. He was a man fighter in his younger days, and would attack me if I wore red or orange into his area! He only made contact with me one time, and the look on his face was pure uh-oh! He has never since attacked me, and has always been a source of amusement to me, as well as his flock guarding duties. He stood in between a Red Tailed hawk and the rest of the flock one day, growling at the hawk, and alerting me to come outside. Despite his faults and genetic make up, Pip will more than likely live out his days here, to do what a good roo should do, and to keep me entertained. While he loves to drop his wing and dance and growl at me, he also loves to sit on the deck next to me during the evening hours before they all get put up for the night. He will linger outside of the run if I happen to miss a girl coming back to the run, and there is no force on earth that will make him go inside until all chickens are accounted for. He's my buddy, despite his faults...good roo, Pip, good roo.

I love the Marans roosters. My very first Marans roo was and is the best rooster that I have ever had the pleasure to own, he is a cuckoo marans from a hatchery and huge! My neighbor was so scared of him because she thought he was a barred rock and she had a bad experience with a barred rock rooster as a kid but he has never challenged a human, a bit odd to catch given the shear mass of him and those big ol spurs but you can send a barely walking toddlers in to collect eggs and he doesn't even give them a second look. He's about 8 or 9 years old now and going strong.

Don ~ Not sure what you mean? If you want to make a critque, please feel free. You won't hurt my feelings, I know what he is, and he's almost been soup on a number of occaisions!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom