Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Yeeowch! Frozen combs and wattles do not sound like fun. We've had a couple days of very cold and windy weather, but my chickens seem to be faring just fine. I'm currently on a wait list for a dozen Wheaten hatching eggs from the Fitzgeralds. I can't believe how dark they are in the pictures! I'd really like to hatch out a cockerel from one of those to put over my one decent-looking pullet. The homely pullet will just have to be happy as a layer.

Lost my last rooster yesterday.
he was exactly the same age as the first when it died almost to the day. (he was 1-1/2 months younger)

I'm guessing the problem is genetic because the ladies are doing fine. They all were in the same coop. Maybe too much inbreeding from the lady i bought them from? Now I'm in the market for a new young adult male from another source.

So I am curious. I bought two blue wheaten marans from the poultry show here in Newnan, Ga a few weeks back. How do you go about breeding them? They are both hens and I am wondering if I need a blue copper rooster or should I get a wheaton maran rooster? Thanks. Not sure if I did this "thread" thing right...

So I am curious. I bought two blue wheaten marans from the poultry show here in Newnan, Ga a few weeks back. How do you go about breeding them? They are both hens and I am wondering if I need a blue copper rooster or should I get a wheaton maran rooster? Thanks. Not sure if I did this "thread" thing right...
I would get a wheaten or blue wheaten rooster.

Hello All,
I am in Southern Indiana and am wondering if there is anyone in the area (Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Southern Illinois) with Wheaten Marans. Or anyone further away willing to ship chicks.

Back
Top Bottom