Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi Nancy... Nice to see you post on here!
hugs.gif

sorry i dont have any breeding tips. iv used the same roo for many years except for a short time last year . i used one of his sons. to a ebay hen
but culled the offspring amdebay hen. . iv bern consistantly getting hens about the same
iv gotten one or two hens that were to dark ( to much mohogany) if u go to marans of australia their website you can see some examples of too dark. someone took the pictures that I posted hero 2 hens sitting on a log or i should say standing. they are my birds. i got rid of the dark one
most of my roosters come out looking the same know if I could only get rid of a little bit of the white in their wings i woyld be happy. I'm getting some very good dark eggs now finely from my 73 generation. breeding back to the original rooster I'm very happy with their egg production but they normally take about 2 months off during the year I don't lay any eggs

Hi friend!!!! I decided after our dialogues on wheatens I needed to get over here and quit "lurking" in here and tackle that SOP. You know I can read SOP's all the time and I do, but until I see the picture or even the drawing of a "nearly Perfect" hen/roo, I have a hard time visualizing from words alone. I guess it is the same as when I read instructions after I've tried to make something work. I would love an SOP that actually develops the coloring on a picture of the chicken as it describes it. So I so appreciate the discussion here!

Randy and all, I am ready to get started if everyone else is. I hope some will chime in and not leave randy and myself hanging.

To start off will by pass the shank and toe feathering as I have not seen that it was a problem now or in the past.

Lets start off with the Dreaded white in wing and Tail and the white fluff in the tail coverts. Now what the SOP says is for show fowl and you will never get rid of the white using the standard as written so do not even try.

I grew out 27 Wheaten young males last year and only one had a white feather in wing, no white coverts on tail feathers. It took two year of breeding to do this. If you breed these white feathers you will get young fowl with white feathers.

Will post this and start another post.

Hi friend!!!!   I decided after our dialogues on wheatens I needed to get over here and quit "lurking"  in here and tackle that SOP.   You know I can read SOP's all the time and I do, but until I see the picture or even the drawing of a "nearly Perfect" hen/roo, I have a hard time visualizing from words alone.   I guess it is the same as when I read instructions after I've tried to make something work.  I would love an SOP that actually develops the coloring on a picture of the chicken as it describes it.  So I so appreciate the discussion here!  

hi. nice that u are here. i have a picture of a roster of mine that i was told was a hvery nice example but i cant post pics with my smart phone that might help . he had proper leg color(pants) but his socks were yellow lol if ya know what i mean . and he had mo white in wings and almost zero cotton fluff
..thats got me wondering could the gene or genes involved in recessive yellow legs cleared the fluff and white feathers in wings?

Next we go to the dreaded white in tail and wing and also the white fluffy tail coverts. I hope most remember when we got a ruling APA that the wing and tail white is a DQ and the white fluff in the tail coverts is a fault.

If you notice the sop say for the male the undercoat should be light slate, very light in neck and hackle. If you breed this type of male you will get a majority of young with the White feathers. You must use a male with Darker Slate undercoat if you want to rid yourself of the white.

were did you get ypur stock to produce roosters with no white in wings?
i have hatched at least 80 roo and got only a hant full with no white in wings . i haver never produced a rooster with white coverts. just cotton fluff i nevet paid much atention to the white in wings untill recently .outherwose i wpuld of saved one. in 5+ years iv only used one different roostwr breedin and never saved any . when i got started with wheatens i wanted tp improve egg color amd increse the flock of hens from 4 birds to 12 thats why i only used the origonal Davis roo that i still use tp this day

Next we go to the dreaded white in tail and wing and also the white fluffy tail coverts. I hope most remember when we got a ruling APA that the wing and tail white is a DQ and the white fluff in the tail coverts is a fault.

If you notice the sop say for the male the undercoat should be light slate, very light in neck and hackle. If you breed this type of male you will get a majority of young with the White feathers. You must use a male with Darker Slate undercoat if you want to rid yourself of the white.

whit in wings ? ypumust mean tail fluff or cotton tail males the most sence tp me.
. the darker slate would cure cotton is that correct?

were did you get ypur stock to produce roosters with no white in wings?
i have hatched at least 80 roo and got only a hant full with no white in wings . i haver never produced a rooster with white coverts. just cotton fluff i nevet paid much atention to the white in wings untill recently .outherwose i wpuld of saved one. in 5+ years iv only used one different roostwr breedin and never saved any . when i got started with wheatens i wanted tp improve egg color amd increse the flock of hens from 4 birds to 12 thats why i only used the origonal Davis roo that i still use tp this day

Randy, the cotton fluff is the Tail Coverts if you look real close. My original start from 2007 came from Ron Pressley stock and had all kinds of white but were very large wheaten Marans. This last year I used a male from eggs from nivtup right here on BYC. He had no white.

Back
Top Bottom