Wheaten Crele Orpington Project, Reboot

I could cull my other Buffs, & replace with these next year.

If you have enough space, I would get the new ones first, get them hatched and at least partly grown, and then evaluate whether they are better than what you have, before you actually cull the current ones.

(I've seen too many stories of shipped eggs that didn't hatch, or eggs that produced chicks of the wrong breed.)

But since you want good Buff Orpingtons, I can see that buying some good ones (now that you've found a source) would be much faster than trying to breed up from hatchery stock. :thumbsup

If you have enough space, I would get the new ones first, get them hatched and at least partly grown, and then evaluate whether they are better than what you have, before you actually cull the current ones.

(I've seen too many stories of shipped eggs that didn't hatch, or eggs that produced chicks of the wrong breed.)

But since you want good Buff Orpingtons, I can see that buying some good ones (now that you've found a source) would be much faster than trying to breed up from hatchery stock. :thumbsup
I may still keep one of the hatchery Orps, just to compare how they preform with what the Heritage Buff Orpingtons produce through back crossing.

I'll be definitely be comparing them to my hatchery Orps.

I've had quite abit of good luck with shipped eggs, actually. I've only had one hatch, that wasn't great. I ordered 24 eggs, & got like 4-5 chicks out of it.

I haven't read through but just cause somethings different doesn't mean its better than what you already have. I've seen it many times in the gamefowl world
That's why I'm not gonna cull all 3 hatchery Orps.
These are what gave me a partial partridge pattern in one of my back cross chicks.
20210705_150540.jpg
20210728_141233.jpg

Hopefully none of my birds test positive for Salmonella when I get them tested to become NPIP Certified. We had an incident with mice. One drowned in the mixed flock pool. That got cleaned out. Another mouse drowned in my Standard coop, pool. Pool was removed. This coop has my project birds. If they test positive, I'm most likely gonna have to cull, & start all over, which is something I'd dread doing.

Back
Top Bottom