Wheelbarrow for dust bathing

fightingbunny

Songster
Aug 9, 2016
Maryland
I have an old wheelbarrow that does not have a wheel or one handlebar and I would like to use it as a container for dust bathing in my new coop. I figure on sinking it into the ground partway and then filling it in with soil/ash/sand. Is this too big or too small for 8 chickens? Is there any downsides to using this? Does it need drain holes? Drilling a hole in the thick metal might be really hard.

Thanks for any advice,
Jenn

If it doesn't have anything over it to stop the rain you might want to drill a hole for drainage. Might be small if they all decide to bath or sun in it at the same time which they tend to do. If a chicken sees another doing something they have to do it too like kids.

I have an old wheelbarrow that does not have a wheel or one handlebar and I would like to use it as a container for dust bathing in my new coop. I figure on sinking it into the ground partway and then filling it in with soil/ash/sand. Is this too big or too small for 8 chickens? Is there any downsides to using this? Does it need drain holes? Drilling a hole in the thick metal might be really hard.
Thanks for any advice,
Jenn
Is it going to be inside the coop?
Then it shouldn't get rained on, right?

Thanks for any advice,
Jenn
I was thinking about doing the same thing. How did it work out for you?

Back
Top Bottom