New Dust Bath!

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
I started building a new dust bath for the girls today. It's probably a bit big, but better that than too small. It's 30" x 42". I'm going to put some walls and a roof on it to keep the rain out. I'll probably just use some thick plastic for the "walls," but I'll be putting corrugated roofing on the top inside the run to route the water out of the run area. Here is a photo of it. It's just scrap lumber I had in my garage. I still need to create a roof of sorts, but I need to get this base situated, and then I'll use the run framing to add the roof section.

20230705_185126.jpg

Yes, I have masks for use when I do woodworking that will serve the purpose well. I bought food grade DE, so I'm not sure if that contains the same risks as non-food grade. Either way, I'll just wear my mask to be safe.

Yes, I have masks for use when I do woodworking that will serve the purpose well. I bought food grade DE, so I'm not sure if that contains the same risks as non-food grade. Either way, I'll just wear my mask to be safe.
I used DE food grade in my vegetable garden and dust bath for my chickens. Spread it around all day not knowing I was inhaling a ton of it. Got really sick from inhaling too much. Kinda acts like a detox when it’s in a human’s system. Had flu like symptoms for like a week and my lungs were irritated. That being said it did help in my garden and I’ve never seen bugs on my chickens. I only use a little in the dust bath. As it made my chickens sneeze a lot when I used to much. It has its pros and cons but I would just be careful.

Maybe not quite as bad, but still.
There's no need to use DE in a dust bath as it really serves not practical purpose....
.....and why let your birds stir it up and breathe it in?
I have read so very many opinions and anecdotal stories that go both ways on the use of DE. I've read of people who've raised chickens for eons and have used DE with great success, and I've read those who won't touch the stuff. Seems the big concern is the development of respiratory issues. Does anyone have any evidence that this has been a problem in the short life span of a chicken? I ask with all sincerity because I don't like to do anything that harms them. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? People put chemicals into their bodies all the time thinking it's good for them in the big scheme of things (unconstitutional government mandates included), knowing full well that the side effects are often worse than the malady they are trying to treat, so the answer must really lie in looking at all the information, and just making an educated decision. I'm still in the "gathering information" stage, but DE seems to be a good thing from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom