When are chicks fully grown?

lilifluff

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on when chicks stop growing? I have two 8 week old Brahmas chicks, they haven't really grown for a couple of weeks, a friend of mine says they won't get any bigger. I was wondering what other people think?

I'm no expert, but aren't Brahmas known for been a slow-growing breed? I'd say more generally that growth continues until at least 6 months, and pullets seem to begin to become more rounded (i.e. seem to add a little weight, but don't grow taller) after that.

I'm no expert, but aren't Brahmas known for been a slow-growing breed? I'd say more generally that growth continues until at least 6 months, and pullets seem to begin to become more rounded (i.e. seem to add a little weight, but don't grow taller) after that.
X2

8 weeks? They have a LONG way to go! not even close to full grown.
My 3 Light Brahma x EE/Ameraucana mix pullets kept growing until about 20 weeks. They are a good bit bigger than my two BR hens.
Pullets just started laying at 24 weeks.

Thanks for your advice guys, I thought they might still have some growing left to do yet! It's just they have been the same size for sometime now.
sad.png
perhaps my friend is wrong then?

Thanks for your advice guys, I thought they might still have some growing left to do yet! It's just they have been the same size for sometime now.
sad.png
perhaps my friend is wrong then?
Yes, they are wrong.....just wait another couple months and you can prove it to them.
Chickens are pretty much full sized by around 6 months when they start to lay,
but they will fill out a bit more and be truly 'full grown' at about 18 months.
Tho older non hens can get quite fat depending on diet, environment, and breed.
Brahmas are slower growing than some other breeds and can get quite large.

Brahmas take until nearly two years old to reach their full size, both sexes. Pullets take until around nine months sometimes to begin to lay eggs. Roosters aren't mature until over a year, but will keep growing for another year.

When most chicks are around four months old they're nearly the size of adults, and their voice start to change. They often sound like ducks quacking during this voice change. One minute they're peeping still, next minute you think, "I didn't know I had any ducks."

Your friend was probably recalling bantams they'd seen at some point, and thought all chicken only grew to that size. They should see Jersey Giants. Brahmas are very impressive, too, when they reach their full size.

I adore Brahmas! They're the sweetest breed.

Back
Top Bottom