When are they no longer chicks?

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
At what age to you take your chicks off 'chick starter' feed?
Do you prefer pellets or mask for maintenance feed?
Does anyone feed their adults Gamecock Maintenance feed for the additional whole grains?
If so, could you continue to use the Gamecock feed and just add oyster shell when they start to lay?
Thank you

I don't know realy. I consider mine grown when they start to lay, or crow. As to your question about gamebird feed,
I do know someone that shows and does that. She feeds gamebird feed and free choice oystershell to her entire flock, and her birds are lovely. I know feed varries a lot from area to area, and possibly, depending on the company, batch by batch. I have tried different layer feeds and on at least two of them my hens did not thive. I now feed gamebird feed along with whatever available layer feed I can find around here, to my small flock of layers. Oh, and I also give oystershell free choice.

Last edited:
See...that's the same question I have because we have 2 hens that are laying and 7 chicks (that are 1 wk old) and as soon as the chicks are ready and able to, I want to move them to the coop/run with the big girls but they are on layer rations whereas the chicks are on starter.
hu.gif
I need to know the same answer or how to feed separately i guess
idunno.gif
. Please help

Okay............now I'm confused.............
I thought you didn't feed oyster shell until they are grown
and are laying, and need the extra calcium, no?
Or, would it be perfectly fine to feed oyster shell to 3-4 week olds?

Oh, and, is 'chick feed' best in the form of pellets, crumbles, or mash?
.............or just 'smaller' pellets?

I am obviously a 'new egg' and just 'out of the brooder'.........................so please excuse my
crazy questions!
Chickens are coming the end of this month!!!!!! (Hooray!)

A 'young trio' of Light Sussex.............and 2 'true' Ameraucanas, 2 Black Copper Marans, and
2 lavender Slikies........
OMG, I can hardy wait!!
Yikes!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom