When can baby chicks meet big hens?

My son has been raising chickens for several years now and I intend to add to my flock, so we had this discussion recently. He said only introduce them when the chicks have fully feathered out, and then do so by putting them in the chicken coop at night. I'm anxious to see if there's any disagreement on this.

My son has been raising chickens for several years now and I intend to add to my flock, so we had this discussion recently. He said only introduce them when the chicks have fully feathered out, and then do so by putting them in the chicken coop at night. I'm anxious to see if there's any disagreement on this.

Only issue with the "add them at night" is your flock will notice the new birds the next morning and there might be quite a bit of tussling when they do.

If that's how he's been doing it and he's had good results, I'd at least copy his set up (clutter in run?), timing (like opening pop door at crack of dawn) etc as closely as possible to try and replicate the results.

I let my 2.5 week old chicks outside for about 10 minutes. I brought two outside at a time, so I could keep track of them. I was a little worried when my big hens showed up. They were free ranging in the yard. But they were actually totally fine. They looked at the little one, but didn’t show too much interest. I did end up scooping up the chicks and taking them inside after that, just so there wasn’t an accident. Of course, my hens are super sweet, so I’m not sure if you should introduce them or not. But anyway, good luck!

Only issue with the "add them at night" is your flock will notice the new birds the next morning and there might be quite a bit of tussling when they do.

If that's how he's been doing it and he's had good results, I'd at least copy his set up (clutter in run?), timing (like opening pop door at crack of dawn) etc as closely as possible to try and replicate the results.
Also, when I introduce new babies, once they are 6 weeks or older, I will put them in a smaller chicken tractor inside the big run. (The chicken tractors technically a chicken infirmary) I let them stay there for 5 or so days, then let them out of the tractor, monitoring closely with the big girls. Just be prepared that things might not go smoothly, this is just what has worked in the past. If there is any pecking, put the little ones back in the tractor. I’ve never really had a problem with introducing pullets to hens. Anyway, hope this helps!

How do you introduce new babies if not at night? Should I let them all free range together first so there is enough room and they dont feel trapped?
I linked my integration article on page 1. However, I do not free range - do you have a run available that the chicks can use, so they can see the adults first before coming into contact with them?

When are silkies big enough to be introduced into the flock?
I introduced my standards last week at 8 weeks old and they’re doing fine, separated during the day due to food differences, and they sleep together in the coop at night with no issue. (They do get to free range together every day or two)

But silkies are probably a completely different story due to size

I'll put chicks that are two weeks old and over in a dog crate in the yard for an hour or so at a time when the weather is nice. The big girls would hurt them if they could get to them, but they're safe in the crate. I leave the plastic tray out of the bottom so my babies can learn to scratch in the grass. Once they're six weeks old they move to a grow-out pen that is attached to the coop so the big girls can look but not touch for a few weeks. After that they move to general population with relatively few problems.

Back
Top Bottom