I hope to introduce them to the horizontal nipple waterer out there.
Pick a day that's not too hot where you are available to check in, and make that the only water source. I usually give them a bit of time to get thirsty, then pick up whatever chicks are easy to handle and use their beak to toggle the nipple, letting them drink a few drops, and repeat, and go to the next chick. If they're really hard to catch you can also try tapping the nipples with a finger while they're standing around watching, and the water droplets should help lure them in.

Pick a day that's not too hot where you are available to check in, and make that the only water source. I usually give them a bit of time to get thirsty, then pick up whatever chicks are easy to handle and use their beak to toggle the nipple, letting them drink a few drops, and repeat, and go to the next chick. If they're really hard to catch you can also try tapping the nipples with a finger while they're standing around watching, and the water droplets should help lure them in.
Not too hot? Oh, no. I may be waiting till late October. lol

I do have one that loves to sit in my lap and be scratched on, and I have started holding her a bit so she gets used to it, and hope others will follow. If I can get her to learn, hopefully the others watching will make it easier to get them to follow suit by using my finger.

My technique with the first ones was to take the open waterer out at night, wedge mealworms into the nipples, and not return the open waterer for an increasing amount of time in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom