When can I introduce new chicks to older chicks?

browland84

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Cleveland ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 chicks that are currently 10 weeks old. Chicken math kicked in and I just order 4 more than will be ready for pick up on May 27th. So question is when can they all be together? I kept my first 4 in the house for 9 weeks while we finished building our coop. So they just moved in a few days ago. I assume I will need to keep the babies in my house under a heat lamp for the first 4-6 weeks? When they move out how do I introduce them? Do I do it gradually under supervised visits or just allow them to meet and move in same day? By the time these chicks will be 6 weeks old the older ones will be 18 weeks old.

Here's how I merge baby chicks with large chickens.

I begin when the chicks are just two or three weeks old. On nice days, 75F, the babies get taken out of their brooder and placed in a chick pen inside the main run. The chicks have their crate I transported them in inside this pen in case they get cold and need to snuggle for warmth, or to get some nap time. The big chickens get to know the chicks and vice versa. The chicks go back into the brooder for the night.

Around age four weeks, I open small pop holes that I've built into the sides of the chick pen. The chicks can fit through, but not the big chickens. The chicks begin to explore the main run, and get pecked and chased, and they learn FAST to run back inside their pen for safety.

At six weeks, I move the chicks from their brooder into the coop with the big chickens. This is the trickiest part. After the hens have finished laying for the day, I lock the big chickens out of the coop and move the babies in. They run around and explore the coop, and make themselves at home. At dark time, I place the babies on the perch and I let the big chickens in. I stick around to referee in case there are any problems, but usually they roost without messing with the chicks, which I've placed down at the far end of the perch.

In the morning, the big chickens chase the babies out of the coop, and they know to run right away into their chick pen for safety. They spend the day like they've been doing for the past several weeks. But at bedtime, I need to round up the chicks and show them how to go into the coop.

All chicks are different, and so are the adult chickens. You just need to play it by ear as far as addressing any problems as they arise. It varies as to how long it takes for the chicks to learn to go into the coop at night on their own, but basically that's all there is to it. You need to supervise roosting time for a couple weeks until everyone is comfortable with each other, but usually the adjustment isn't too hard.

This has worked very well now for four batches of chicks over the past five years.

I don't know, but I'm bumping your thread in hopes someone will answer. I have a dozen two week old chicks now that I will send out to the chicken house when it's finished - hopefully in 4 weeks! Then I want to start another brood since I didn't get any EEs in this batch. But eventually everyone will have to live together.

Good question, I have heard that new chicks should be separated at least 30 days for health reasons. After that I would introduce them through a fence. Maybe build a little run next to your older birds. See how that goes for about a week and then put them together supervised. I am no expert but that's what I would do.

I have 10 week old baby chicks that I am starting to integrate into my adult flock. I moved their enclosure outside a couple weeks ago so the hens can see them and get close so both hens and chicks will get accustomed to each other. Over the weekend I allowed the chicks to explore the fenced big yard which they enjoyed. They were apprehensive but eventually all came out and scratched around but close to their enclosure. The next day I opened their enclosure and they came out quickly. I then let 2 of my hens out to meet them. They were the lowest hens in the pecking order. Both chicks and hens discovered each other and the hens went up to the chicks and really didn't do anything. Then the smallest hen tried to peck one of the chicks but nothing really happened. The next day I opened their enclosure and let all the hens out and there were a couple of chasing around and pecking but the chicks would steer clear of the hens. I think it's going pretty well. I'll continue with this method until the chicks get bigger and everyone is getting along as much as they will. If you have the time I'd recommend this method. I stay out with them while they are all out just in case I need to intervene.

Haven't really seen an answer to this question. My specific situation is that I have 18 chicks that are 8 weeks old and 16 RIR's that are 3 weeks old. The days are reasonably warm and the nights are somewhat cool. The RIR's are fully feathered and the jury is still out on the sex of at least 21 of the entire flock. I hope the stripe theory is crap because only 4 of my reds have one. I was thinking of putting them in the coop at 5-6 weeks. My biggest concern is the two older chicks that I'm pretty sure are roo's are really big and kind of aggressive. Any thoughts?

I move younger chicks into a large dog crate in the coop, or into part of the coop within sight but not all in one pen. After a few days, or weeks if the babies still need a heat lamp, I open the doors and watch, preferably when the pen doors are open, so the big birds go out to free range. The chicks can get out of the way, and learn about respect for the older birds, with a few pecks, but no serious trauma. Everyone will return to their cages, or the coop roosts, at night. I start with a late afternoon release, and move up to all day, as the younger chicks learn the ropes. All is MUCH easier with a broody hen and her babies, already integrated into the flock. Mary

Back
Top Bottom