When Can I Transfer to Coop

NCBonnie

Chirping
Dec 31, 2020
I've got 10 mixed breed 3+ week-old chicks and several of them "appear" fully feathered (ie, little to no downy fluff left) and quarters are starting to get a little tight (currently in a 100 gallon brooder with heat-lamp temps stable at 80 degrees). Would it be safe, for example, to transfer my 3 RIRs out to the coop now and leave the remaining 7 chicks in the brooder? I'm in North Carolina and the overnight temps are averaging above 30 degrees. My plan has always been to keep them all in the brooder until 6 weeks but, again, space is of a premium.

You should try to slowly lower the temp in the broader every day to the point where it is almost the same temp as the coop. Also, if possible, you should put them in the run or a chicken tractor for a couple hours a day, weather permitting. We have raised up to 500 chicks a year in our garage, and these are some of the things we do. Hope this helps! Also, I wouldn't put some in the coop without the rest, unless the coop has a indoor area which will be warm at night, but then I would just move them all.

I've got 10 mixed breed 3+ week-old chicks and several of them "appear" fully feathered (ie, little to no downy fluff left) and quarters are starting to get a little tight (currently in a 100 gallon brooder with heat-lamp temps stable at 80 degrees). Would it be safe, for example, to transfer my 3 RIRs out to the coop now and leave the remaining 7 chicks in the brooder? I'm in North Carolina and the overnight temps are averaging above 30 degrees. My plan has always been to keep them all in the brooder until 6 weeks but, again, space is of a premium.

I created a double brooder, with 2 tubs, when I needed to expand...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...post-pics-of-your-brooders.6233/post-23739570

I agree it is better to keep them all together, for two reasons. First, for socialization. If you separate them now, they will need to get re-acquainted later, causing stress. But two, more importantly, more bodies stay warmer. Thay huddle for warmth. Three chicks won't keep each other warm enough if you put them outside without the others. Good luck!

I created a double brooder, with 2 tubs, when I needed to expand...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...post-pics-of-your-brooders.6233/post-23739570
I will say that the “kids” seem well and not bothered with the amount of space they currently have. I’ve not noticed any aggressive pecking at one another or any such nonsense. They also tend to huddle together when it’s time to nap (overload on the cuteness scale). I just may need to add another brooder if things get too tight over the next week or so.

Thanks! I’ve been following the 5 degree drop per week “rule” I’d read some time ago.

You can drop faster than that, like 10 degrees a week - I think the commercial recommendations are too high. As long as the chicks aren't huddled directly under the lamp they're comfortable with the temperatures, so that's how I decide how hot they need to be.

I use a heating pad which works a bit differently, but I go down a notch in temperature each week and then remove it completely around week 4. Since it's chillier now that it's winter, having heat an extra week or two is fine if needed, as long as you also provide cooler spots that are closer to the outside temperatures (which may be a little harder with a heat lamp) or time with the heat lamp off, to allow temps to drop closer to ambient outside temperature, to prepare them for moving out full time.

Back
Top Bottom